thePlenty.net Forums
[from news] A new Megan Lindholm story - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Upcoming books & other RH news (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: [from news] A new Megan Lindholm story (/thread-451.html)

Pages: 1 2

[from news] A new Megan Lindholm story - Mellow the Minstrel - May-07-2012

A new Megan Lindholm story

A new "near future sf/fantasy" story by Megan Lindholm titled Old Paint is set to appear in the July 2012 issue of the Asimov's. Head over to their website to find out how to subscribe or buy a back issue (including digital ones).

https://www.theplenty.net/index.php?id=410

RE: [from news] A new Megan Lindholm story - Mervi - May-08-2012

And apparently you can already access this latest issue in a digital format if you have the Kindle.

RE: [from news] A new Megan Lindholm story - Farseer - May-08-2012

Oh, my! Rant Just lost a huge post after my computer froze and shut down! Rant

After more than an hour of trying to purchase this story from Amazon via Kindle-for-PC, including my deregistering an iPhone belonging to my eldest son that is linked to my account (thinking that only then Amazon would give me a Kindle-for-PC download option!!), I found out that the story can only be read on certain devices! Down Of course, one of them is the iPhone, yes, the same device that I had just deregistered from my Amazon account and the one belonging to the son who is now sailing into international waters Boat and can't be contacted so that I can obtain the serial number of his iPhone to re-register it again!!! Mad

To save you the same dramas, please know that you should only bother trying to obtain this story if you have the following:

Kindle
Kindle Touch
Kindle Fire
Kindle Keyboard
Kindle DX
Kindle (2nd Generation)
Kindle (1st Generation)
Kindle for iPad (Version 2.9 or later)
Kindle for iPhone (Version 3.0 or later)
Kindle for Android

as it can't be read on any other device.

Now I just have to wait ten days for my son to get back to Australia (unless he makes contact before then) before I can purchase the darned thing using his iPhone! Crying

RE: [from news] A new Megan Lindholm story - Mervi - May-08-2012

Thanks for all the hard work Farseer! Wink I wondered earlier today whether I should bother trying to buy it for the iPad (I think I'll still want to have a "real" copy for my collection as well). But now it's nice to know that I have a digital copy and I don't have to wait for months until I get to read it. Smiling Purchasing/downloading was a breeze as my device was already registered, didn't have any "not allowed for your country" problems either. And you don't actually have to BUY a copy, you can trial the magazine (only one issue) for 14 days and then cancel the subscription (not sure what happens to your copy then though, maybe it disappears from the device?)

This was a really good ending for a bit of a crappy day. Yay! Smiling

RE: [from news] A new Megan Lindholm story - Farseer - May-08-2012

^ I smiled for your happy ending, Mervi Slurp , but then got cross again when I re-experienced my drama through the words of my post! P

(May-08-2012, 04:16 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: Now I just have to wait ten days for my son to get back to Australia (unless he makes contact before then) before I can purchase the darned thing using his iPhone! Crying

Of course, Mother's Day *is* coming up, and I *have* always wanted a Kindle (if it has a search feature on it to make searching for things for thePlenty so much easier?)...ahem...hint, hint...*wink, wink*...kids, are you listening?? Innocent

RE: [from news] A new Megan Lindholm story - 'thul - May-09-2012

These beings have not used a kindle much themselves, but they know of people that have, and those people apparently found the control system on the kindle annoying in use after a certain time period. 'thul have heard that they (amazon) are coming up with a new version using touch screen, though... that should solve the button problem that was on the older versions... (apparently buttons are especially annoying when searching for things... imagine typing words or phrases using a joystick....)

RE: [from news] A new Megan Lindholm story - Farseer - May-09-2012

Oh! Down I thought they had a keypad on them, like an itsy bitsy keypad at the bottom with easy-to-use keys. I'd rather those myself than anything else...especially a touch screen...but then, I *am* getting on in years and thus tend to err on the side of "old-fashioned"...staring forty in the face as I am. Clapping

RE: [from news] A new Megan Lindholm story - fool-ish - May-09-2012

(May-08-2012, 09:52 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: ^ I smiled for your happy ending, Mervi Slurp , but then got cross again when I re-experienced my drama through the words of my post! P

(May-08-2012, 04:16 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: Now I just have to wait ten days for my son to get back to Australia (unless he makes contact before then) before I can purchase the darned thing using his iPhone! Crying

Of course, Mother's Day *is* coming up, and I *have* always wanted a Kindle (if it has a search feature on it to make searching for things for thePlenty so much easier?)...ahem...hint, hint...*wink, wink*...kids, are you listening?? Innocent
You might want to try hinting in, let's see...sky writing!! P

I'm still not sure I'm the right person for a Kindle...certain I'd kill it in the bath!

RE: [from news] A new Megan Lindholm story - Valarya - May-10-2012

I have the Kindle app on my Android phone so I'll have to check it out! Big Grin

Too bad you can't access the download from the B&N Nook (which is the e-reader I have and use). Ah well!

RE: [from news] A new Megan Lindholm story - finella - May-10-2012

I have the “old” kindle with the keyboard at the bottom. I use it daily and sometimes for some hours in one go. I never had any “button” problems with it and I really love this thing. But nevertheless I ogle with the new Touch. Perhaps for Christmas or so. Reading English books, I imagine the Touch a bit more comfortable using the dictionary. Using it now, I have to scroll down with the cursor to the word. With the Touch you only have to touch the word and it immediately shows you the translation. But then again – honestly, that’s a luxury problem, isn’t it? But still .. I have become a real e-reader enthusiast and “there's a trend to a second kindle". So I told my husband Big GrinBig Grin.