thePlenty.net Forums
Duchies Coastline - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Duchies Coastline (/thread-455.html)

Pages: 1 2

Duchies Coastline - Provost - May-14-2012

While perusing my atlas, I recently discovered that the Aleutian Islands end in a group called the 'Near Islands'. In fact, the entire coastline of Alaska looks very much like the Six Duchies upside down. How peculiar.

RE: Duchies Coastline - 'thul - May-14-2012

its not exactly like, but there are certainly serious similarities...

here's a comparison, with stretched a bit vertically, but otherwise unaltered...

These beings have on occasion wondered if they could make some decent fantasy maps through reversing the height field on a model of the earth...

RE: Duchies Coastline - Farseer - May-14-2012

Yes, Provost, I think that Robin has herself said that it looks like Alaska and was even asked about it in an interview or two somewhere (maybe even recently and I likely posted it! Surrender Big Grin ). I don't think it was a conscious decision on her part as she freely admits that maps aren't her thing, and may have been just the interpretation on the part of the artist or the way the sketch turned out when Robin did her bit of a drawing for the artist. Given that Robin lived in Alaska for some time, I guess it makes sense regardless. Smiling I don't want to put words in her mouth though so I will try and locate the link/s etc for you...though it will have to wait until I've had a camp Sleeping as it's now 2:12 am here. P

Great spotting! Slurp

RE: Duchies Coastline - KekPafrany - May-15-2012

Woww, it fits. Nice catch.

RE: Duchies Coastline - Valarya - May-15-2012

Yeah, definitely a neat catch!!! I wonder how often Robin saw an upside-down version map of Alaska in her years living there. P

RE: Duchies Coastline - Provost - May-24-2012

This is all highly questionable, but do you think it's possible that the Out Islands (which we don't have a map for) might follow the same general curve island as the Aleutians?

RE: Duchies Coastline - Farseer - May-24-2012

(May-14-2012, 05:13 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: I don't want to put words in her mouth though so I will try and locate the link/s etc for you...though it will have to wait until I've had a camp Sleeping as it's now 2:12 am here. P

I have searched and searched and SEARCHED for these link/s here in thePlenty but can't locate them. Sorry...but I will keep trying. Flowers Not even an internet search has brought up anything. Down

As for your theory, the Out Islands of my imagination could never match up with something on our world map. I have my reasons but will have to find those links too! Surrender

Of course, maps are not one of Robin's strong points so maybe she did fashion them as you mention when she first started planning...at least until they became 'the God Runes'. I'll be back sooner with this one as I have an idea where connections to it all may lurk!

RE: Duchies Coastline - Farseer - May-24-2012

Here in the Maps thread, as well as other threads that I am yet to find (!), I have outlined my reasons for believing that the Out Islands are meant to be something 'more' when seen from the air.

Provost, if you haven't seen this Maps thread before, you may be interested in the map featured there as well. Smiling I still have to get back to the thread to contribute some more myself... Whistling

RE: Duchies Coastline - 'thul - May-24-2012

it could be the other way around... instead of the islands being shaped after some runes, the runes be shaped after the islands...

RE: Duchies Coastline - Mervi - May-25-2012

One pretty cool (and sort of recent) interview where she talks about the 6D/Alaska connection is here. Spoilers for the stories in the Inheritance collection, especially "Cut"!