thePlenty.net Forums
Looking for Books to read... - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Everything else (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Looking for Books to read... (/thread-46.html)

Pages: 1 2

Looking for Books to read... - taloshield - Jun-09-2009

I have read all of Robin Hobbs books, and am waiting for Dragon Keeper to come out.

In the mean time I want to read something good! Does anyone have any suggestions? I prefer sci-fi / fantasy, but will read anything, as long as it is well written and captivating! Let me know what you think would be a good book to read.

RE: Looking for Books to read... - chriSchaeffer - Jun-10-2009

Fellow forum readers: I would love to hear some suggestions on books as well, but I'd like to suggest that everyone keep their list down to 1 or 2 books at the most. That makes your suggestions that much more meaningful.

So with that, my two are:
Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind
A Game of Thrones by George RR Martin

Those are two VERY good epic fantasy series. Very well known.

RE: Looking for Books to read... - Sini - Jun-13-2009

Lois McMaster Bujold and her Vorkosigan series. If you ask my favourite authors after Robin / Megan she would be on that short list (and I second to Chris's suggestion of ASOIAF series by GRR Martin). They are funny, character centered space opera and not that much science. I'm always having hard time reading hard science fiction.

And in the spirit of Bujold, I've recently enjoyed Elizabeth Moon's Vatta's War and Serrano series. So if you're in the mood of having an exciting journey through unknown galaxies with some space battles and lots of intrigue, try either of these authors.

RE: Looking for Books to read... - Changer - Jun-13-2009

The children of HurĂ­n by J.R.R Tolkien. Just well written and nice to read

The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells, ancient Si-fi but very neatly written in a simular style as Hobb. P And it's loads better then the crappy Tom Cruise movie

RE: Looking for Books to read... - chriSchaeffer - Jun-15-2009

(Jun-13-2009, 09:00 AM (UTC))Sini Wrote: Lois McMaster Bujold and her Vorkosigan series.

Which book should I start with for the Vorkosigan series? I can't find a good source to tell me the chronological order.

RE: Looking for Books to read... - Sini - Jun-17-2009

(Jun-15-2009, 03:48 PM (UTC))chriSchaeffer Wrote: Which book should I start with for the Vorkosigan series? I can't find a good source to tell me the chronological order.

Vorkosigan series and reading order - this is a hard choice, almost as debated as the Fool's gender...

Start with Shards of Honor. Then Barrayar, the Warrior's Apprentice, short story "The Mountains of Mourning", the Vor Game, Cetaganda, short story "Labyrinth", short story "Borders of Infinity", Brothers in Arms, Mirror Dance, Memory, Komarr, A Civil Campaign, short story "Winterfair Gifts", Diplomatic Immunity.

Ethan of Athos and Falling Free are independent books and can be read at any point after getting familiar with the Vorkosigan universe. Hope you enjoy them!

RE: Looking for Books to read... - chriSchaeffer - Jun-17-2009

Thanks Sini! It's on my to read list. PLUS it's on the Kindle. Yay

RE: Looking for Books to read... - Mervi - Jun-17-2009

chriSchaeffer, I see you recommended Terry Goodkind. Smiling I just finished watching the first season of Legend of the Seeker the other day - it's a tv show (apparently very loosely) based on the Sword of Truth books. I'm kind of wondering whether I should give the books a try - the production of the series was of very high quality and I grew to like the characters but most of the writing seemed to be incredibly predictable and kind of lame - very few scenes ever ended up in surprising ways. From what I've read I've gathered that the books are (even more) violent and dark and the magic has more rules/limitations than what was shown in LOTS. Is this a series that must be started from the beginning, or can I just pick any part and see what the story is really like? (The last two parts are still available as paperbacks in bookshops here, that's why I'm asking.)

RE: Looking for Books to read... - chriSchaeffer - Jun-17-2009

@Mervi
First of all, Legend of the Seeker (the TV show) frequently makes me sick to my stomach. The storyline is so far off from the books that I often laugh out loud at the screen. They did a good job making a TV series, but it was far from being a show based on the books.

With that said, whether you liked the TV series or not, I would highly recommend the books. As with Hobb's books, I would never recommend anyone pick up a series from anywhere other than the beginning. Each novel is it's own complete story, but so is each Hobb novel, but I would never have gotten to love Fitz and Fool as much if I hadn't started at the beginning.

The books are dark and often have some rather disturbing events, but I've recommended it to many female friends (and my wife) and though they were shocked by some parts, it wasn't too much for them to deal with.

FULL DISCLOSURE: The last triology (Chainfire, Phantom, and Confessor) is not very good. It is nice to wrap the whole series up with one big bang, but it pales in comparison to the first 6 books. After about the 7th book, it starts to get a little boring.

The first book is Wizard's First Rule.

RE: Looking for Books to read... - Chiquita - Jun-17-2009

I've read Wizard's First Rule and it's awesome! I tried to get into the second one.. but after halfway through it just seemed so long to me.. heh. I will have to try and reread it again Smiling