thePlenty.net Forums
Extended Project - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Extended Project (/thread-476.html)

Extended Project - londonlassie - Jul-28-2012

OK, so I'd like to ask you guys a favour.

I'm doing the Extended Project for my second year at college, and mine is focused on writing a novel. I need to do a lot of character research and stuff like that, which is fine, but I also need to look closely at the work of two authors who have really influenced me - one of these is Robin Hobb.

One of the things I need to include is primary research, which apparently can include doing survey-type things to find out what other people like.

So if you could all comment with the main reason you like Hobb's novels - I'm mainly looking at the Liveship Series since I'm going into so much detail that doing the whole ROTE would just be nigh impossible, so if you have things you like about characters, it would be great if they were from that trilogy - and the main thing you dislike about her stuff.

The reasons could be anything you like, no matter how big or small Smiling

I'm on summer holidays right now so anything in the next six weeks or so would be much appreciated, since this is when I'm planning on getting the majority of the work done.

Thanks for any help you can give Slurp

RE: Extended Project - 'thul - Jul-28-2012

these beings cannot say exactly why, as they are uncertain. There are countless contributing factors, many of them so small that they alone make no sense...

However, 'thul suggest that you look over this thread, where they've made some notes about their own novel story project. It might be of aid, but since 'thul think differently from most, it might confuse you a bit too...

RE: Extended Project - Farseer - Jul-29-2012

A great question to get the gears upstairs turning! I will take some time to think on this (though I know straight up what I love THE MOST about Robin's works) and get back as soon as I can. Slurp

What better thing to do research on! Clapping

I may as well quickly add just what I *do* love the most, and extend on it and other things later.

Her works are believable and connective.

I see myself in her characters...I *am* her characters. I can see myself doing the things her characters do, loving the things they love, hating the things they hate and fighting for the things they don't/can't walk away from etc etc. Other characters are those from my own life, doing the things the people who irritate and anger me do. I experience their losses as my own because they *are* my own.
Her characters are complex just as real people are complex. Simple examples from LST: I hate Kennit. He raped me. I am in love with Brashen despite his failings. Sometimes I feel truly torn between 'child' and 'adult' like Paragon, and feel the torment of the various aspects of me clamouring for attention and supremacy.

Her magics *could* be true. I certainly believe that they are whilst I am reading. I can see where they could fit seemlessly into real life. They are believable to me.

I connect with the politics, the everyday, the landscape, the peoples, the characters, the magics...such a connecting is very powerful and so is the ability to create them.

Okay, I am actually extremely busy and shouldn't even be here ( Blushing !!!!) so...later 'gators!

RE: Extended Project - finella - Aug-02-2012

I go with Farseer in almost all points (my distance to Kennit is bigger though Wink. If it wasn't him, everything would have been different. Although he's definitely one of the bad boys! I hate Kyle more.)

Quote:I connect with the politics, the everyday, the landscape, the peoples, the characters, the magics...such a connecting is very powerful and so is the ability to create them.
Everything is so realistic and decent that it could have been a true aspect in real life.

Quote:Her magics *could* be true. I certainly believe that they are whilst I am reading. I can see where they could fit seemlessly into real life. They are believable to me.
I love i.e. the biological development of the dragons - from egg to serpent to cocoon to dragon. It's all so realistic and thus so magic.

The way, the story and their characters intertwine is magic.

Her language, the diligent way, how she elaborates her world and her characters, is magic.

RE: Extended Project - 'thul - Aug-02-2012

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

genetics is rather advanced biotechnology...

The characters are indeed plausible. Partially because they get on your nerves.

RE: Extended Project - londonlassie - Aug-07-2012

Thanks so much guys, this will all be really helpful in making an in-depth analysis of Robin's work Big Grin Slurp

RE: Extended Project - Farseer - Aug-08-2012

Glad to help. Grouphug Not sure about anyone else but I do have lots to add P but no time to sit and think and mull and type. Will try and get back here soon.

This has all raised a terrific discussion point though. One that I would like to bring up elsewhere. Hmm...maybe in the characters threads (?) as we have kind of touched on things there but not pulled them apart eg Kennit vs Kyle in the love/hate stakes.

You may even like to look in that thread for members' comments on individual characters, londonlassie, or even the emotions thread, as there may be something of use in those also?

RE: Extended Project - londonlassie - Aug-13-2012

(Aug-08-2012, 12:41 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: Glad to help. Grouphug Not sure about anyone else but I do have lots to add P but no time to sit and think and mull and type. Will try and get back here soon.

Can't wait to hear your ideas!

(Aug-08-2012, 12:41 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: This has all raised a terrific discussion point though. One that I would like to bring up elsewhere. Hmm...maybe in the characters threads (?) as we have kind of touched on things there but not pulled them apart eg Kennit vs Kyle in the love/hate stakes.

That would make a fantastic debate point (although from my few posts so far, I think it's pretty obvious which side of the board I'd have to stand) P

(Aug-08-2012, 12:41 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: You may even like to look in that thread for members' comments on individual characters, londonlassie, or even the emotions thread, as there may be something of use in those also?

Good idea, many thanks!

RE: Extended Project - Farseer - Sep-30-2012

I feel terrible that I haven't been back here....! Ouch Blushing