thePlenty.net Forums
*SPOILER* Who did Fitz save | cut for spoilers for LST & Tawny Man - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: *SPOILER* Who did Fitz save | cut for spoilers for LST & Tawny Man (/thread-482.html)

Pages: 1 2

*SPOILER* Who did Fitz save | cut for spoilers for LST & Tawny Man - finnybear - Aug-26-2012

In Fool's Errand when the fool first arrives at Fitz's cottage Fitz tells him that he dreamed about him once but didn't recognize him due to his new golden complexion. He says that he saved him from a man who was leaning over him while he (the fool) lay injured or sick on a wooden floor and that the man meant to do him harm. He repelled at him with the wit and skill commanded him to go and get help for the fool/amber. The fool tells Fitz that the wooden floor was the deck of a ship and that he likely saved his life as the man would have wanted to kill and dispose of him.

Who is this man that meant harm to amber and at what point of the liveship trilogy did this occur? I recently finished ship of destiny but I can't recall what part of the book the fool is referring to when he tells us this in Fool's Errand. I assume it was either Kennit or Lavoy but I don't know.

RE: *SPOILER* Who did Fitz save the injured fool from onboard a ship in liveship traders - joost - Aug-26-2012

I asked this same question in this thread. It was an unseen scene in SoD between Amber and Lavoy.

RE: *SPOILER* Who did Fitz save the injured fool from onboard a ship in liveship traders - fool-ish - Aug-26-2012

I always assumed it was Lavoy, but of course could never be certain.

RE: *SPOILER* Who did Fitz save | cut for spoilers through Tawny Man - Mervi - Aug-27-2012

I edited the subject line a bit, as the identity of Amber later on in the books is one of the biggest spoilers there is and the fact that Fitz makes a cameo in LST is tied to that.

RE: *SPOILER* Who did Fitz save the injured fool from onboard a ship in liveship traders - Farseer - Aug-27-2012

(Aug-26-2012, 10:15 PM (UTC))fool-ish Wrote: I always assumed it was Lavoy, but of course could never be certain.

Lavoy's role in the whole thing is certain and his actions were the result of a Skill command placed on him by Fitz. If Fitz had not intervened, who's to say what Lavoy would have done to Amber with her being so vulnerable in that moment? Given Lavoy's feelings toward Amber, his "I just found her there and thought you might like to know" was quite against his character (even as he was otherwise proving to be his usual distainful self to Brashen) and this nicely illustrates the influence of the Skill command. It also mirrors the feelings or lack of control that we see Fitz, Dutiful and even Regal experiencing whilst under such a command. That Fitz himself suggests that Amber needed 'saving', well, Lavoy obviously had less than pleasant intentions until Fitz acted.

As for the command, it's interesting that Fitz was able to reach Lavoy in such a way via the Skill. Was Paragon made aware of his 'presence' at any point, I wonder? Was it that Lavoy was aboard a liveship that helped Fitz (kind of like dragon kin to dragon kin) reach out and actually communicate via the Skill where he had otherwise failed to throughout the years? Was it simply the love and connection between he and Fool that allowed for it to take place? Fool was certainly pleased to discover that someone did love him so much to take such an action on his behalf and from so far (through time and distance). An emergency fire brewing...best go!!

RE: *SPOILER* Who did Fitz save | cut for spoilers for LST & Tawny Man - 'thul - Aug-27-2012

the skill and the wit are more connected than many wish to think. It was quite simply a combined use.

oh, and you really ought to stop lighting things on fire, farseer...

RE: *SPOILER* Who did Fitz save | cut for spoilers for LST & Tawny Man - finella - Aug-28-2012

I think it's skill, wit and Fitz' great love for the Fool. Perhaps in his dreams, without any mental boundaries, Fitz is able to all-embracingly love the fool (without being aware of it).

RE: *SPOILER* Who did Fitz save | cut for spoilers for LST & Tawny Man - Farseer - Aug-28-2012

(Aug-27-2012, 09:51 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: the skill and the wit are more connected than many wish to think.

Indeed.

(Aug-27-2012, 09:51 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: oh, and you really ought to stop lighting things on fire, farseer...

It threatened the closest town (where those in the hospital had to be evacuated etc) and was heading north, toward us. All seems under control now though it would be just my luck to move all this gear north onto a property that has more trees on it than not and then lose everything in a bushfire! Toohot Big Grin

RE: *SPOILER* Who did Fitz save | cut for spoilers for LST & Tawny Man - 'thul - Aug-28-2012

dragons are supposed to spit acid, not fire... you need to teach your pet that, farseer...

RE: *SPOILER* Who did Fitz save | cut for spoilers for LST & Tawny Man - finella - Aug-28-2012

(Aug-28-2012, 02:32 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: It threatened the closest town (where those in the hospital had to be evacuated etc) and was heading north, toward us. All seems under control now though it would be just my luck to move all this gear north onto a property that has more trees on it than not and then lose everything in a bushfire! Toohot Big Grin

What a funny guy thul is, isn't he Ouch.

I hope that everything stays under control and you can enjoy all your trees around you for years and years (I love trees!).