thePlenty.net Forums
Reading The Dragon Keeper - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Reading The Dragon Keeper (/thread-49.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Reading The Dragon Keeper - chriSchaeffer - Jun-30-2009

PLEASE! Make use of the spoiler tag so you won't ruin anything for those who have not yet started reading Dragon Keeper.

First of all, I'm only about 90 pages into the book right now but I'm already excited. It's been so long since I've read a Robin Hobb book. Gosh she is an engrossing writer.

I'm having trouble remembering if any of these characters have already been introduced in previous books, some names are familiar but I can't remember.

Completely off topic, it's strange that UK books use a single quotation mark ( ' ) to start a quote from a character. Here in the US we use double quotation marks ( " ). I wonder which one is correct.

RE: Reading The Dragon Keeper - Garetha - Jun-30-2009

I'm halfway through now, but I can hardly keep my eyes open at work coz I wouldn't put down the book & close them last night.

I was always taught to use double quotation marks in school, but I think both ar acceptable in the UK. They probablyu chose single coz it looks neater on the page.

RE: Reading The Dragon Keeper - Seventh - Jun-30-2009

I've just finished it - definitely a page-turner for me! Now I'm already wishing the second one is out soon!

A general comment: just before Dragon Keeper came out, I reread the whole three trilogies to get myself back into that world, and I noticed that as the trilogies have progressed, the tendency to use the first book as an introduction [which, i suppose, is perfectly fair as that's exactly what it is] seems to have become more marked from the Assassin trilogy to the latest book.

I mean to say that, taken separately the third book of a trilogy reads with significantly more action, emotion and tension than the first - not that the first is by any means sub-par. Obviously it's a natural part of writing a story that spans three whole books, rather than just one, with the first used to introduce the setting, the second building the plot and the third reaching the climax of the action. To me, this was quite marked with the Soldier Son books - I found Shaman's Crossing on the verge of being disappointing as so little actually seemed to HAPPEN in the book. But by the end I was utterly hooked.

While I utterly adored Dragon Keeper [I REALLY wanted to have a 'closer look' at the Rain Wilds!] I can't help feeling that a slow-burn start that takes a whole book might perhaps hinder attracting new readers? I know several people who weren't sufficiently taken by Shaman's Crossing to bother to read the following two. Though perhaps the book just wasn't to their taste.

I'm rambling, sorry. Basically - has anyone else noticed this slow-start effect, or is it all in my head?

PS: I always thought that it didn't matter whether you used single or double speech marks, as long as you were consistent throughout the piece. And that you use the opposite mark to denote a quote within speech.

RE: Reading The Dragon Keeper - chriSchaeffer - Jun-30-2009

@Seventh
Yes I agree that the book is moving pretty slow, but for those who are such avid fans (forum nerds raise your hands), it's like eating ice cream slowly. You don't want it to be over too fast and it's nice to enjoy every moment. I like all the details, but for a new reader it might be pretty boring.

RE: Reading The Dragon Keeper - Nobody - Jun-30-2009

Hey guys, new user here. I just finished The Dragon Keeper yesterday. I was wondering if anyone knows which of Maulkin's tangle were among those who survived the cocooning process etc? I got that
but I couldn't really figure out about the others. I'm generally bad at noticing things like that.

RE: Reading The Dragon Keeper - cooncheez - Jul-01-2009

Good observation on the quotation marks - it is true that as long as you are consistent throughout the piece then either single or double usage is correct, but as with a lot of things in English, one usage is more common in US English and another more common in British English. However, I live in Australia where we generally follow the British rules, but judging by most Australian websites/magazines/newspapers etc. we seem to follow the US style on this one.

I picked up my copy of Dragon Keeper last night too and started reading it way to late - I only read the prologue and first two chapters, but now I'm falling asleep at work. Might read a bit more during lunch, but I won't get a chance to sit down and read a good chunk until probably tomorrow night, which is killing me!

RE: Reading The Dragon Keeper - Albertosaurus Rex - Jul-01-2009

(Jun-30-2009, 09:09 PM (UTC))Nobody Wrote: Hey guys, new user here. I just finished The Dragon Keeper yesterday. I was wondering if anyone knows which of Maulkin's tangle were among those who survived the cocooning process etc? I got that
but I couldn't really figure out about the others. I'm generally bad at noticing things like that.

I thought that
Or am I wrong?

RE: Reading The Dragon Keeper - Nobody - Jul-01-2009

Huh. Well

RE: Reading The Dragon Keeper - Albertosaurus Rex - Jul-02-2009

Well, that does make sense. I apparently remember it wrong.

RE: Reading The Dragon Keeper - Nobody - Jul-02-2009

I think you could be right there... I really should do a reread.