thePlenty.net Forums
Kennit's lack of passion? (Liveship and TM spoilers) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Kennit's lack of passion? (Liveship and TM spoilers) (/thread-490.html)

Pages: 1 2

Kennit's lack of passion? (Liveship and TM spoilers) - Krh52 - Sep-17-2012

So we figure out in the end of Tawny Man that Fitz hasn't been feeling the full pleasure of his life because he put some of his memories and pain into Girl on Dragon, does this work the same way with Kennit and Paragon? Kennit to me always seemed cold and calculating and reading that about Fitz got me thinking maybe it was for the same reason. Sorry if this has been asked or discussed already.

RE: Kennit's lack of passion? (Liveship and TM spoilers) - 'thul - Sep-17-2012

no worries. Some here *looks at Farseer* particularly enjoy delving into themes time and again. (not that these beings mind, mind you...)

Its been discussed once or twice and the conclusions 'thul can recall agreed with the kennit/paragon transference being same type as fitz/GirlOnDragon

RE: Kennit's lack of passion? (Liveship and TM spoilers) - londonlassie - Sep-17-2012

Yay, another Kennit thread! *cough* Ahem. Blushing

I personally never thought Kennit was completely lacking in passion - he was passionate about his "King Kennit" crusade, he was passionate about Vivacia, he was passionate to some degree about Wintrow - he was definitely passionate about his "make it as though Igrot never existed" fantasy. But although I don't recall the conversations about this before - being a newbie, it was probably a bit before I arrived - I also thought that Paragon's removal of Kennit's emotions was roughly the same as what happened with Fitz and Girl On A Dragon. It took away his ability to feel the emotions that would've made him properly human. So he had the passion and the drive to accomplish things, but not the empathy or love needed to temper his ambition and stop it turning into a power-grasping mechanism.

RE: Kennit's lack of passion? (Liveship and TM spoilers) - 'thul - Sep-18-2012

yes, both of those took away pieces of the "sensation cake". When someone lacks a certain range of feelings, the person is literally incomplete. It could easily be that Kennit would have been better with Etta if he had been complete.

RE: Kennit's lack of passion? (Liveship and TM spoilers) - Farseer - Sep-18-2012

(Sep-17-2012, 03:12 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: no worries. Some here *looks at Farseer* particularly enjoy delving into themes time and again.

I am at a school event. A rather important school event. Yet I am sitting next to a bunk bed and checking in with you all and wishing I could just stay here!

I can't...but had to leave a grin. Big Grin

Good. these beings would have been disappointed otherwise.
You do not want to be near ill-mannered, disappointed dragons. Trust 'thul on that fact.

RE: Kennit's lack of passion? (Liveship and TM spoilers) - fool-ish - Sep-18-2012

I've nothing to say of any import, so have another grin on me Big Grin

Fool-ish bring food?

RE: Kennit's lack of passion? (Liveship and TM spoilers) - londonlassie - Sep-18-2012

(Sep-18-2012, 06:21 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: It could easily be that Kennit would have been better with Etta if he had been complete.

I definitely agree here - if Kennit had had a full range of feelings, he may have been able to return Etta's sentiments towards him.

That would've been the Kennit that Etta deserved. Much as I adore Kennit, he was a complete jerk to her and she deserved a lot better.

it is good that we all agree.