thePlenty.net Forums
Series time line. - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Series time line. (/thread-497.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Series time line. - 'thul - Oct-16-2012

yes, it might be true, that. Some events are set in same timeframe.

That does make us think that liveships are set far later than farseer books. it just won't make sense otherwise. liveships can't be set close to farseer without creating a time paradox in relation to rain wilds.

RE: Series time line. - londonlassie - Oct-16-2012

(Oct-14-2012, 02:58 PM (UTC))mmmmmmm Wrote: but I am not sure off the top of my head how much time LT covers.

IIRC, Liveship Traders spanned three years. Wintrow was thirteen in Ship of Magic and fifteen in Ship of Destiny. Smiling

RE: Series time line. - Farseer - Oct-16-2012

Well now, knowing your knowledge of LST, I'm going with you, londonlassie! Smiling This certainly makes sense to me as it did always seem apparent that the LST characters had not aged a great deal within the storyline.

So, this means then that a certain character's doings (horse purchase, receiving of gifts from a far bigger character, organising another certain someone to help take care of finances etc) *did* take up quite a bit of time between the end of LST prior to TM.

So, what do we have? Sorry, Jundra, but have to revert to spoiler tags! P

At the end of AQ we have *MAJOR spoilers Farseer, LST and TM*

No time to think Ouch and have to get in that car of mine...looking forward to getting back here to see what you can all come up with. Smiling I think I need to sit down with pen and paper and draw an actual timeline after consultation with you fine folk!

More for your consideration RotE Timeline and Pre-release of City of Dragons (from post #131). Lots of spoilers in that CoD link though. There are quite a few other places where we have delved into timeline discussions but these may jog some other thoughts... Flowers

RE: Series time line. - 'thul - Oct-16-2012

what one here forgets, another usually remembers...

RE: Series time line. - Valarya - Oct-30-2012

(Oct-16-2012, 01:21 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: Sorry, I think I've confused the issue (or am I confusing it further here?? Big Grin ) by quoting too much in my previous email. I agreed with the fifteen years (that is a certain period of time between Farseer and TM as it is a time frame written clearly as such in a number of places within the text)...it is the 5-6 years from TM to RWC that I disagree with.

It most definitely is 5-6 years from the time the dragons HATCH until the meat of the RWC takes place. Saying this, I would state the RWC pick up immediately where Liveships leaves off... but only for a couple chapters. Then it fast-forwards 5 years. This makes the whole 15-year-gap we KNOW to be true even more confusing, I'd say.

Bear with me here:

If we know Farseer to TM is 15 years. And we know LST spans 3 years. We know RWC is mostly 5 years after LST.

From this we can deduce that the events in Tawny Man occur within that 5-year-gap between LST and RWC. They might not take up all 5 years... but it definitely happens within there.

The only issue I have is where someone said there was only 2 years between Farseer and Liveships. I think Amber had just been there for 2 years.. but it can't have been just a mere 2 years after Farseer. The math doesn't add up.

Farseer + 2 years (gap) + 3 years (for entire LST) does not equal 15 years. This would mean that there was a 10-year gap between the end of Farseer and when Amber moved to Bingtown... and then a 2 year gap from that point until the start of LST.

Surrender

RE: Series time line. - 'thul - Oct-30-2012

perhaps our tangle leader has made a mistake? perhaps the timeline has a knot on it?

RE: Series time line. - mmmmmmm - Oct-30-2012

I don't see why there can't be a 10 year gap between Farseer & Liveships?

RE: Series time line. - Valarya - Oct-30-2012

(Oct-30-2012, 07:58 PM (UTC))mmmmmmm Wrote: I don't see why there can't be a 10 year gap between Farseer & Liveships?

Me either. Smiling In fact, it makes the most sense where the other timelines are concerned!

RE: Series time line. - 'thul - Oct-30-2012

indeed it does. there is also some leeway between TM and LST/RWC, but not as much as between farseer/LST. maybe a year to-from.

These beings have now passed Farseer in post count.

RE: Series time line. - mmmmmmm - Nov-11-2012

I think Amber moves to Bingtown at the actual end of AQ but you will all have to re-read the last chapter to find out why P