thePlenty.net Forums
Sequels, adaptations, remakes, revivals, etc - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Sequels, adaptations, remakes, revivals, etc (/thread-499.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Sequels, adaptations, remakes, revivals, etc - Albertosaurus Rex - Oct-22-2012

So I've been thinking about the phenomenon of milking stories for all their worth that's going on these days... and probably has been forever. This was prompted by Avatar: The Last Airbender. After a few years of silence since the series ended, this year saw the release of a comic book continuation (The Promise) and a sequel series (The Legend of Korra). While I liked them both, I do have to say that they don't come close to the original series for me. One of the things I liked about ATLA was that it wasn't dragged out forever, but ended on a high note after three seasons. Yet now, it appears we're in full-on franchise mode. With the avatar as a reincarnating character, they can potentially make sequels forever.

Similarly, there's Star Trek. While I liked the 2009 film by J. J. Abrams and am looking forward to the next film, part of me is wondering whether the franchise shouldn't be put to rest. I mean, after three seasons in the sixties, we first got a handful of films, followed by four television series. From 1987 to 2004 (when Enterprise ended), Star Trek has been on television continuously. Sometimes things should just end.

I guess I understand why corporations do this. As long as people are willing to pay to watch or read this stuff, it's good business to actually provide more of the stuff. But sometimes sequels or remakes are announced that make go why, why, why? Like the Watchmen prequel, which I haven't actually read yet. One of the strengths of Watchmen was that it hinted at a wider universe and history, and leaving this to the imagination is better, or so I thnk, than filling it all in.

Of course, it's not all bad. It took My Little Pony almost thirty years to come up with something actually watcheable. (Season 3 of Friendship is Magic is coming up 10 november! Yay!)

So those are my thoughts so far. What do you guys think?

RE: Sequels, adaptations, remakes, revivals, etc - 'thul - Oct-22-2012

some series adapt well, others are hopeless. Some get chances they don't deserve, others don't get the chance.

One of the greatest risks of such productions is adaption decay, for there's not all that many productions these days that are completely original, not being based on anyone's work. When something that worked well in book form (or comic form) is adapted to the screen, there is usually at least some decay.

With time, if a production is taken beyond its potential, this decay will generally rear its ugly head, and it turns to milking, often with disastrous results.

These beings generally don't mind some adaptations lasting a bit too long, but they do dislike when things don't get the chance to show their quality or even getting canceled in their prime.

RE: Sequels, adaptations, remakes, revivals, etc - Farseer - Oct-22-2012

(Oct-22-2012, 12:22 PM (UTC))Albertosaurus Rex Wrote: So those are my thoughts so far. What do you guys think?

This! P

I
I
I
V

(Oct-22-2012, 12:22 PM (UTC))Albertosaurus Rex Wrote: Sometimes things should just end.

RE: Sequels, adaptations, remakes, revivals, etc - Albertosaurus Rex - Oct-23-2012

I was also thinking, similarly to the Watchmen example, there's Michael Ende's The Neverending Story. Yes, there's a film and sequels to that film and at least two television series, but Ende never wrote a sequel to the original book, and that's how it should be. The powerful things about the book is that constantly hints at a wider world and more stories, but leaves them to the readers' imagination. It even ends with the words "But that is another story and will have to be told another time." I've always felt that was brilliant.

Concerning Avatar, I'll watch all sequels and such they'll come up with and probably enjoy them too (except the 2010 film, that was awful), but I'll never cherish them the way I do the original.

RE: Sequels, adaptations, remakes, revivals, etc - 'thul - Oct-23-2012

that is often how it is... nothing "beats" the original. Just imagine how much noise and uproar there would be if they were to choose to refilm the original star wars trilogy...

RE: Sequels, adaptations, remakes, revivals, etc - Valarya - Oct-30-2012

(Oct-22-2012, 12:22 PM (UTC))Albertosaurus Rex Wrote: Of course, it's not all bad. It took My Little Pony almost thirty years to come up with something actually watcheable. (Season 3 of Friendship is Magic is coming up 10 november! Yay!)

Oh gods. I should have known by your Avatar. How did I not put two and two together? Ouch

Tell me.. were you even alive when MLP was on TV originally? Because I was. And let me assure you that, as with the rest of the references in your post, MLP is included among the things that just need to end.

Biased Bronie is biased. Dodgy

RE: Sequels, adaptations, remakes, revivals, etc - 'thul - Oct-30-2012

observing pony fanatics and anti-pony fanatics clash makes for nice entertainment.

RE: Sequels, adaptations, remakes, revivals, etc - Albertosaurus Rex - Oct-31-2012

(Oct-30-2012, 05:12 PM (UTC))Valarya Wrote:
(Oct-22-2012, 12:22 PM (UTC))Albertosaurus Rex Wrote: Of course, it's not all bad. It took My Little Pony almost thirty years to come up with something actually watcheable. (Season 3 of Friendship is Magic is coming up 10 november! Yay!)

Oh gods. I should have known by your Avatar. How did I not put two and two together? Ouch

Tell me.. were you even alive when MLP was on TV originally? Because I was. And let me assure you that, as with the rest of the references in your post, MLP is included among the things that just need to end.

Biased Bronie is biased. Dodgy

I take it you're not a fan? I was born in 1988, so the MLP franchise is older than I am. I never watched any of it before Friendship is Magic, although in the gap between season 2 and 3 I have checked out some older stuff to see if it is really as bad as everyone says it is. (And yes, it is.) So, why does MLP have to end? Because in my opinion, it's only been good the past two years. And while rabid bronies might get a bit tiresome, I think the show itself is pretty good.

And speaking of other things that keep going on, apparently George Lucas has sold Lucasfilm to Disney, which will now produce a new Star Wars trilogy. I know that the expanded universe has been going on for years and years, but still: does the world really need more Star Wars movies?

RE: Sequels, adaptations, remakes, revivals, etc - 'thul - Oct-31-2012

It is an interesting dilemma, that of star wars.

There are many stories in the extended universe that could work well if filmed, but it would have to be chosen with care. many of the stories would not work well.

if they do it with eyes primarily on quality, these beings see nothing wrong with it. If the eyes are more on profit, then the risk for failure is high. 'thul hope they realize that if the quality is high enough, the profit will come automatically.

RE: Sequels, adaptations, remakes, revivals, etc - Albertosaurus Rex - Oct-31-2012

If we get a new Star Wars film, I think I'll go see it no matter what. But it better be good. I'm not familiar with the expanded universe, but I suppose the events after the original trilogy will already have been covered by books? Because that's inevitably where the new films will go, so they'll have to be either based on those books, or invalidate them. Which I imagine will not sit well with fans.