thePlenty.net Forums
Robin Hobb on Sword & Laser (possible spoilers Farseer & Tawny Man) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Upcoming books & other RH news (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Robin Hobb on Sword & Laser (possible spoilers Farseer & Tawny Man) (/thread-508.html)

Pages: 1 2

Robin Hobb on Sword & Laser (possible spoilers Farseer & Tawny Man) - Valarya - Nov-09-2012

Robin just posted this on Facebook. I subscribe to Sword and Laser and loved to see a Skype interview with her on that show!!

Enjoy Smiling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxwPAtvh2PY&feature=share

RE: Robin Hobb on Sword & Laser - Farseer - Nov-09-2012

Was just coming to post this so thanks for saving me a job, Valarya! Slurp

Great to know that our coterie has the globe covered. Clapping

I have been having troubles for a while, putting things on the Main Page (have needed Mervi to do it instead), but will try again with this and see how I go. As such, you may see a repeat from Mellow the Minstrel here in the news thread.

RE: Robin Hobb on Sword & Laser - finella - Nov-13-2012

Great interview. I really enjoyed it.
Did you notice, what Robin said about The Fool in the first Farseer Trilogy? That he was intended to have only one short appearance and then leave the stage for the rest of the story. What he just didn't do Clapping. Thank God he decided otherwise Yay.

RE: Robin Hobb on Sword & Laser - Farseer - Nov-20-2012

Here are some other bits and pieces of what Robin has had to say regarding Fool's bit part which soon became a pivotal part, finella. Flowers

This one from the Shades of Sentience site after last year's SupaNova which I attended in Brisbane (which I have likely linked in the Interview thread):

Quote: Q. At Brisbane Supanova you were asked about the Fool, and you said in your original draft he only had one line. Can you tell us more about how he came to be such a pivotal and unique character and the moment that you realised everything he could be?

Bit by bit, the Fool invaded the story until he had all but conquered it. He was not the only character to assume a greater role in the tale than I had foreseen, but he was the only one who stepped up to command a pivotal role. I can’t really tell how this came about as it happened in small pieces at first, and then in bigger and bigger segments until finally he was in almost every scene. He became a trigger character, one who launched events and swayed the outcome.

This one from Pat's Fantasy Hotlist from back in 2009:

Quote: Pat's Fantasy Hotlist - In one of our previous interviews, you mentioned that you're never fully satisfied with any of your books, that there is always the idea of the book you attempted to write versus the book that you actually managed to create. Looking back, give us an example of something that didn't quite work out the way you envisioned it. Given the chance, is there anything you would change in any of your novels?

Robin - It’s hard to put my finger on a definite example, and even harder to share an example without creating a major spoiler for the book. It’s more like a feeling for the kind of book I intend to write. And by the end of it, it always feels different that what I had initially expected. Sometimes a character plays less of a role than I expected. Or more. The Fool in the Farseer books was intended at first to be a bit player, one that didn’t necessarily appear after the first book. So that would be the most obvious example I could state. In the first outlines of the book, Verity was a much less sympathetic character; so that would be another one.

And this one from the old Andromeda Spaceways site in 2008:

Quote:ASIM: The ambiguity of the Fool is a fascinating part of all the books set in the realm of the Elderlings. What made you draw the Fool in such a way?

RH: I think you'd have to ask him.
He was the most unruly character I've ever dealt with. He showed up as a single sentence in the outline, muscled his way into the book, messed up the plot, revealed things I didn't know about some of my characters while keeping all his secrets to himself, and then rode off into the sunset.
I don't know if I'll ever write anyone like him again. Sometimes, I don't know if I'd want to! Wherever he came from, I was glad to know him. That doesn't mean it was easy to live with him for a decade of my life.
Readers often ask me questions about the Fool. For the most part, I don't know the answers. I have suspicions, and I do know things about him that never made it into the books, but for most of the questions they ask me, the answer is, "I don't know. He never talked about that with me." He was and remains a very private sort of character.

RE: Robin Hobb on Sword & Laser - 'thul - Nov-20-2012

These beings cannot really see anything "new" in that... But then all that stuff is old, so perhaps it is natural?

RE: Robin Hobb on Sword & Laser - finella - Nov-21-2012

(Nov-20-2012, 01:29 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: Here are some other bits and pieces of what Robin has had to say regarding Fool's bit part which soon became a pivotal part, finella. Flowers

I think, these "old" news are only ment for me and not for you "experts". For me they are "new" P.

He was the most unruly character I've ever dealt with. He showed up as a single sentence in the outline, muscled his way into the book, messed up the plot, revealed things I didn't know about some of my characters while keeping all his secrets to himself, and then rode off into the sunset.
I don't know if I'll ever write anyone like him again. Sometimes, I don't know if I'd want to! Wherever he came from, I was glad to know him. That doesn't mean it was easy to live with him for a decade of my life.
Readers often ask me questions about the Fool. For the most part, I don't know the answers. I have suspicions, and I do know things about him that never made it into the books, but for most of the questions they ask me, the answer is, "I don't know. He never talked about that with me." He was and remains a very private sort of character. [/quote]
[/quote]

This is just great. Love it Clapping.
Thanks, Farseer Slurp!

RE: Robin Hobb on Sword & Laser - 'thul - Nov-21-2012

These beings can't easily keep track of who joined when and who sits with what knowledge.

RE: Robin Hobb on Sword & Laser (possible spoilers Farseer & Tawny Man) - Farseer - Nov-21-2012

Hmph...likely those ones who think of themselves as Lords of the Three Realms don't think much on we commoners! Dodgy

I've got your back, finella of Germany! Grouphug

I love that quote from Robin, too. That Robin herself sees Fool as a fluid or changeable character, revealing only as and when he chooses, makes his fluidity in the novels even more reasonable, and it fits very nicely with his physical fluidity as well. Clapping Joker

RE: Robin Hobb on Sword & Laser (possible spoilers Farseer & Tawny Man) - 'thul - Nov-21-2012

Trying to fit the fool into something well-defined and static is like trying to use logic to explain how magic works. Pointless, useless and silly.

RE: Robin Hobb on Sword & Laser (possible spoilers Farseer & Tawny Man) - finella - Nov-21-2012

(Nov-21-2012, 04:03 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: I've got your back, finella of Germany! Grouphug

It's good to know you got my back - with thul in front of me Big Grin