thePlenty.net Forums
Fantasy recommendations - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Fantasy recommendations (/thread-52.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: Fantasy recommendations - Albertosaurus Rex - Jul-07-2010

Elizabeth Haydon - I have her Symphony of the Ages trilogy, but I haven't read it yet. (I got it at a bargain price, that's why I bought them all.) Apparently it got some buzz on its release (On the inside, I can see a quote by Anne McCaffrey and the US edition has a quote by Mario Puzo on the front cover) and they even had the audacity to put "The epic fantasy for the third milennium" on the cover. But I can't tell you much about it.

Thomas Covenant, well... he's not supposed to be sympathetic [Stuart Rachels does not approve this word]. What I can tell you is that most fans think much higher of the second and third books in the trilogy. Not that Covenant ever becomes a true hero, but he does go through some charachter development. And remember, he is convinced that he is hallucinating - so who's to say he didn't just rape a figment of his imagination?

RE: Fantasy recommendations - 'thul - Jul-11-2010

(Jul-07-2010, 10:08 AM (UTC))Albertosaurus Rex Wrote: Elizabeth Haydon - I have her Symphony of the Ages trilogy, but I haven't read it yet. (I got it at a bargain price, that's why I bought them all.) Apparently it got some buzz on its release (On the inside, I can see a quote by Anne McCaffrey and the US edition has a quote by Mario Puzo on the front cover) and they even had the audacity to put "The epic fantasy for the third milennium" on the cover. But I can't tell you much about it.

These beings say that you should read them. They are good books. Very good books.

'thul would also recommend anything and everything by David & Leigh Eddings. Read about one hundred pages without putting a book by them away, and you're hooked.

RE: Fantasy recommendations - Nuytsia - Jul-13-2010

Gees I don't know what 'everyone' sees in The Name of the Wind - I couldn't even read it! I got through about 5 chapters and could not go on. Just longwinded and the characters just reminded me of characters I'd read elsewhere before. Maybe there were major twists coming, but I couldn't be bothered waiting around for them. I really didn't need to read a whole page on what type of silence prevailed in the room at the time etc.
I think books need to start with a lot more action. I could probably take detailed discussions of the characters raising eyebrows etc during conversations once I got to know them, but not right at the start.
I did really love the Thomas Covenant books, but then again I read them YEARS ago.
Ironically some people find them longwinded, but there is entertaining long winded and then there is boring long winded. Hehehe don't ask me to explain. I mean eg a good writer can convey a lot about a new character with just a couple of well chosen sentences. Others, not so much.

RE: Fantasy recommendations - NeverBeenWise - Jul-16-2010

I can see what you mean, Nuytsia. Myself, I don't really pay much attention to plot or lack thereof, which is why reading spoilers doesn't spoil books for me; mostly I go for the writing style and am content to sit and wait for the characters to develop while I read about silences and eyebrows. Wink

RE: Fantasy recommendations - Farseer - Oct-13-2010

(May-12-2010, 09:56 AM (UTC))Manephelien Wrote: I've read The Black Magician trilogy. It's a good fantasy read, often labeled as YA but good for any age. Definitely something you might consider reading if you want another series to share with your kids!

You were right, Manephelien - we've had some great chats about it and the boys loved it Smiling !

RE: Fantasy recommendations - Farseer - Nov-08-2010

Has anyone read anything of Fiona McIntosh's (another 'Aussie' fantasy author Clapping !), particularly from either the 'The Quickening' or the 'Trinity' series?

RE: Fantasy recommendations - 'thul - Nov-08-2010

'thul has not.

'thul feel like recommending "the inheritance cycle" by "Christopher Paolini" today.

I'll be reading it over the summer holidays, 'thul...bring on a record wet season Smiling !

RE: Fantasy recommendations - Rendezvous - Nov-08-2010

I have read Fiona McIntosh's Odalisque series, I found it very good, until the last book where instead of picking up speed and building tension failed to even maintain the drive of the previous books. I was so disappointed I haven't tried to read anything else by her, even though they have been recommended to me. But if you are looking for good australian authors, I did enjoy Jennifer Fallon's Tide Lords cycle.

(Nov-08-2010, 04:35 PM (UTC))Rendezvous Wrote: I have read Fiona McIntosh's Odalisque series, I found it very good, until the last book where instead of picking up speed and building tension failed to even maintain the drive of the previous books. I was so disappointed I haven't tried to read anything else by her, even though they have been recommended to me.

Thanks Rendezvous....sounds like I'd best go with a library borrowing first!

(Nov-08-2010, 04:35 PM (UTC))Rendezvous Wrote: But if you are looking for good australian authors, I did enjoy Jennifer Fallon's Tide Lords cycle.

I was in a bookstore the other day but forgot Fiona's name by the time I got all the way home, and then discovered she was Australian when I Googled her book titles P . The Book Depository is the perfect place to buy books but I sometimes still need to see the books on a shelf first!

Jennifer Fallon was another name I saw that interested me so that's a terrific tip, thanks.