thePlenty.net Forums
Fantasy recommendations - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Fantasy recommendations (/thread-52.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: Fantasy recommendations - fool-ish - Dec-15-2011

I'm not a gamer at all, I leave all that to the males of the family. Indeed, my son is a World of Warcraft addict! He's also dabbled with the Assassin's Creed games in the past and he did say it was a good story. According to reviews, the books are good also and remain true to the game. Might be worth a try?

RE: Fantasy recommendations - Farseer - Dec-15-2011

I did respond to Valarya yesterday but, alas, my post has not posted! Down

Both of my sons are definitely readers, having both read all of the RotE books right up to the beginning of DK where they both halted and both decided that they would refuse to go any further...and both for the same reason!...and nothing their mother can say will make them keep going... Rant ...though it may help somewhat that my husband is currently managing to progress through it albeit to my extreme surprise! *crosses fingers* *touches wood*

I have tried to suss out if they would like to read the AC books but, as I want to give them as gifts, I can't be asking them outright or they'll be on to me immediately! I'll just have to go ahead and buy them I think.

My second eldest is in the early stages of ASoIaF and loving it so it will be some time before he's needing anything to read...not to mention the many books still on our bookshelf that he is yet to get through.

Both would have been considered WoW addicts in their time but seem to have (thankfully!) got over their addictions these last couple of years...but possibly that has something to do with our internet connection more than anything else.

I know I said that I liked them elsewhere but I would recommend the Sara Douglass books in her Darkglass Mountain series. Though I haven't read The Axis Trilogy or The Wayfarer Redemption books yet (set in the same worlds), or Threshold and Beyond the Hanging Wall, please make sure you do read those first! They are in my to-read pile now that I know I messed up...

RE: Fantasy recommendations - fool-ish - Dec-15-2011

I've just had a quick look inside 'Black Sun Rising,' the first in the 'Coldfire' trilogy that Valarya recommended. Looks pretty good Smiling
(Dec-15-2011, 10:01 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: I did respond to Valarya yesterday but, alas, my post has not posted! Down

Both of my sons are definitely readers, having both read all of the RotE books right up to the beginning of DK where they both halted and both decided that they would refuse to go any further...and both for the same reason!...and nothing their mother can say will make them keep going... Rant ...though it may help somewhat that my husband is currently managing to progress through it albeit to my extreme surprise! *crosses fingers* *touches wood*

I have tried to suss out if they would like to read the AC books but, as I want to give them as gifts, I can't be asking them outright or they'll be on to me immediately! I'll just have to go ahead and buy them I think.

My second eldest is in the early stages of ASoIaF and loving it so it will be some time before he's needing anything to read...not to mention the many books still on our bookshelf that he is yet to get through.

Both would have been considered WoW addicts in their time but seem to have (thankfully!) got over their addictions these last couple of years...but possibly that has something to do with our internet connection more than anything else.

I know I said that I liked them elsewhere but I would recommend the Sara Douglass books in her Darkglass Mountain series. Though I haven't read The Axis Trilogy or The Wayfarer Redemption books yet (set in the same worlds), or Threshold and Beyond the Hanging Wall, please make sure you do read those first! They are in my to-read pile now that I know I messed up...
There doesn't seem to be any sign of my son letting up on WoW in the near future. He's just bought himself a massive new computer with maximum gaming capability...I despair!

RE: Fantasy recommendations - Gielske - Feb-13-2012

Every fantasy lover should read THE WHEEL OF TIME by Robert Jordan (and the last books by Brandon Sanderson after Jordan died). But truly you should read all 14 books again after you have read it once to truly find out how brilliant a writer Robert Jordan is.

RE: Fantasy recommendations - fool-ish - Feb-13-2012

14! I'm half wishing I got that Kindle now...that's a lot of books to add to what is already a rather large book collection!

RE: Fantasy recommendations - Valarya - Feb-13-2012

Valarya recommends you NOT read Robert Jordan, lol. Don't say I didn't warn you. P

RE: Fantasy recommendations - fool-ish - Feb-13-2012

Blink There's only one way to find out I suppose. It'll be a long while off yet mind you...many more important reads to be completed first, Wise Man's Fear for one! I believe it's out in paperback soon Yay

Dont you like WoT Val??? Or are you warning them not to get addicted???

RE: Fantasy recommendations - Valarya - Feb-13-2012

(Feb-13-2012, 09:42 PM (UTC))fool-ish Wrote: Blink There's only one way to find out I suppose. It'll be a long while off yet mind you...

There IS only one way to find out. I should apologize for adding negativity to these forums where it, otherwise, doesn't exist. Blushing Every one should have their own opinion of things, and you can only gain that from 1st-hand experience, yes? Surrender

(Feb-13-2012, 09:42 PM (UTC))fool-ish Wrote: many more important reads to be completed first, Wise Man's Fear for one! I believe it's out in paperback soon Yay

Omigosh you haven't read it!! Ooooh I can't wait until you do. I know you will love it! Book

(Feb-13-2012, 10:37 PM (UTC))Gielske Wrote: Dont you like WoT Val??? Or are you warning them not to get addicted???

I really didn't... but again, I apologize. I should just keep my mouth shut about stuff I don't like and, instead, focus on things I do like. Will you forgive me? Flowers

Unfortunately Robert Jordan bored the pants off me. Ouch His books are too repetitive and it reminds me of the very long and very arduous other series which I won't name by name... but there you have it.

Thats probably it. I like long series Big Grin Haha!!! But my WoT books have gone round in my circle of friends and everyone is hooked.