thePlenty.net Forums
Fantasy recommendations - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Fantasy recommendations (/thread-52.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: Fantasy recommendations - Farseer - Feb-14-2012

(Feb-13-2012, 10:46 PM (UTC))Valarya Wrote: I should apologize for adding negativity to these forums where it, otherwise, doesn't exist. Blushing

Add as much negativity as you like if that's your opinion, Valarya! Slurp We would be within 'the Lack' here rather than 'the Plenty' if we all agreed all of the time. Grouphug In fact, it is my aim in life to disagree as much as possible with those beings known as 'thul but, sadly, I find it difficult to do so most times. I have even near resorted to fibbing about my opinion just to be in opposition to them...but honesty prevents me from taking such drastic measures. P

Oh, and see my Brent Weeks rant (somewhere in this thread, I think)...it will make you feel better! Big Grin

RE: Fantasy recommendations - Gielske - Feb-14-2012

For those who also like more urban fantasy I can also advise the Weather Warden series by Rachel Caine. You'll never look at clouds and weather the same.

RE: Fantasy recommendations - Farseer - Feb-14-2012

(Feb-14-2012, 02:02 PM (UTC))Gielske Wrote: You'll never look at clouds and weather the same.

Sounds possibly similar to the Stormlord trilogy?

RE: Fantasy recommendations - joost - Feb-14-2012

(Feb-13-2012, 10:46 PM (UTC))Valarya Wrote: Unfortunately Robert Jordan bored the pants off me. Ouch His books are too repetitive
I agree partially. The first 5 or 6 books of WoT are really good (IMO of course), but volumes 7 to 12 were too long and too little happened.

(Feb-13-2012, 10:46 PM (UTC))Valarya Wrote: and it reminds me of the very long and very arduous other series which I won't name by name... but there you have it.
Do you really think ASOIAF is that arduous? Big Grin

RE: Fantasy recommendations - Valarya - Feb-14-2012

(Feb-14-2012, 09:40 PM (UTC))joost Wrote: Do you really think ASOIAF is that arduous? Big Grin

Lol NOT ASOIAF!!!!! Sleepy

I was speaking of a certain series by a certain Goodkind author. Whistling

RE: Fantasy recommendations - 'thul - Feb-14-2012

Never 'eard o' 'im...

On more serious note... Sword of truth could've been far worse... Its obviously critical of certain types of politics, but its still a decent story... The bad stuff was the TV series based on it.

RE: Fantasy recommendations - fool-ish - Feb-14-2012

Now I'm worried that I'll probably enjoy the first few books and become disenchanted with the rest, but then feel the need to continue just because I should. It may be best to give them a miss altogether..Undecided

RE: Fantasy recommendations - Albertosaurus Rex - Feb-15-2012

Let me add another recommendation: R. Scott Bakker. Many people can't get through his Prince of Nothing series - including me on my first attempt. But it really is something quite special. I still like his SF novel Neuropath more, but PoN is really impressing me too. I encourage everyone to at least give it a try.

RE: Fantasy recommendations - Gielske - Feb-15-2012

Has anyone here read the Termeraire series by Naomi Novik??? What did you think of it???

RE: Fantasy recommendations - 'thul - Feb-15-2012

These beings have not, so they do not think of it at all.
Though after reading a bit about it in wikipedia, it looks somewhat interesting, but not sufficiently to have 'thul want to read it.