thePlenty.net Forums
Fantasy recommendations - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Fantasy recommendations (/thread-52.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: Fantasy recommendations - finella - Feb-16-2012

(Feb-15-2012, 01:52 PM (UTC))Gielske Wrote: Has anyone here read the Termeraire series by Naomi Novik??? What did you think of it???

Yes, I have. I really liked the first. let’s say, two or three books, as the setting and story etc. was refreshing and interesting. And Temeraire is a real darling. But the more books I read, the more I got bored, so I finished the series on book 6 for now. I don’t think, I will continue. It’s a pity, but even Temeraire’s charm couldn’t keep me going on. For me it became more and more trivial and elongated for the sake of writing another book, and another book and another book Mad.

RE: Fantasy recommendations - Gielske - Feb-16-2012

Are there more then 6 books??? I partly agree... Allthough I like tongues of serpents (book6) as a stand alone. But I heard Peter Jackson bought the movie rights. And THAT's something I'm truly curious about. Can you imagine sea battles with a dragon aerial core on a big screen???

***Edit: Just looked it up. Crucibles of Gold (book 7) will be released on the 6th of march and the napoleonic war will end in book 9 as will the series***

RE: Fantasy recommendations - Valarya - Feb-16-2012

(Feb-16-2012, 04:52 PM (UTC))Gielske Wrote: But I heard Peter Jackson bought the movie rights.

I just googled this info and am too excited to speak. I have to go out and purchase this series straight away, lol.

He (Peter) already has Richard (Weta Workshop) working on visual elements for this series! Big Grin

RE: Fantasy recommendations - Gielske - Feb-16-2012

I think you have read the 2009 interview with peter jackson. Last year he has worked on the Hobbit. But if I understand all the messages correctly he will work more on temeraire this year.

RE: Fantasy recommendations - finella - Feb-16-2012

(Feb-16-2012, 04:52 PM (UTC))Gielske Wrote: Are there more then 6 books??? I partly agree... Allthough I like tongues of serpents (book6) as a stand alone.
Sorry, I just looked at my bookshell. I actually finished at book 4, Empire of Ivory. Book 5, Victory of Eagles, I bought, but didn't read yet.
Do you really recommend Tongues of Serpents? Then I would give it a try. It's not hard work to read book 5 and then 6, if it's worth it. I was just getting a bit bored. But that again is quite some time ago. Perhaps I should meet up again with Temeraire Book .

RE: Fantasy recommendations - Gielske - Feb-17-2012

In Tongues of Serpents they are banished to the newly discovered collony Australia. It is a totally different story, since they come to a continent where there aren't any dragons.

RE: Fantasy recommendations - Farseer - Mar-22-2012

Flat out like the proverbial lizard drinking and, yes, I'm still in Chapter Four of CoD! Surrender The Hunger Games movie seems to be taking the world by storm, or so one of my sons tells me (?) ...has anyone here read the book? I think I may well add it to my 'to-read' pile as it sounds like something our whole family may enjoy.

RE: Fantasy recommendations - 'thul - Mar-22-2012

someone has yes. *points to "what are you reading"-thread*

RE: Fantasy recommendations - Farseer - Mar-22-2012

Detective Ahem. Blink Right. Ouch Well, I feel silly... Blushing

And here was I thinking you guys were just chatting about something erotic Big Grin ...seems I missed the initial post! Innocent P
*sigh* I'm so busy I don't even know what I'M reading! ^ I'm actually in Chapter Six somewhere of CoD, not Four...I think! Uhhuh

RE: Fantasy recommendations - 'thul - Mar-22-2012

you did mention something about chapter six earlier, yes...