thePlenty.net Forums
Homecoming (spoilers all RotE books) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Homecoming (spoilers all RotE books) (/thread-55.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Homecoming (spoilers all RotE books) - Jadewick - Jul-15-2009

Hello everyone! I just discovered this website, and I am thrilled! I just finished Ship of Destiny tonight, which will complete the first three trilogies for me (I've already read Farseer and Tawny Man, and Soldier's Son). I swear, I just cannot quite reading and rereading her books. They are amazing!!!

Anyhow, I just learned that Robin Hobb had also written a short story called "Homecoming", and had published it in a book called "Legends II". I was wondering if I would have to purchase that book in order to read the story, or if anyone knew of a place to read just her story.

Thanks so much!

-Jade.

RE: Homecoming - Mervi - Jul-22-2009

Welcome Jadewick!
Unfortunately Legends II is the only English language publication that currently carries Homecoming. But if you're fluent in other languages, there are several stand-alone translations out there - information about at least some of those can be found in the [[Homecoming]] wiki page. Robin/Megan is also releasing an anthology of her own stories later this year - we don't know the contents yet, but let's hope Homecoming is included (it's among my favourite short stories). Smiling
BTW - the Legends II is still quite easily/cheaply available as a paperback and it does include stories by some of the biggest names in the field. It might not be such a bad investment. Wink

RE: Homecoming - Jadewick - Jul-22-2009

(Jul-22-2009, 02:13 AM (UTC))Mervi Wrote: Welcome Jadewick!
Unfortunately Legends II is the only English language publication that currently carries Homecoming. But if you're fluent in other languages, there are several stand-alone translations out there - information about at least some of those can be found in the [[Homecoming]] wiki page. Robin/Megan is also releasing an anthology of her own stories later this year - we don't know the contents yet, but let's hope Homecoming is included (it's among my favourite short stories). Smiling
BTW - the Legends II is still quite easily/cheaply available as a paperback and it does include stories by some of the biggest names in the field. It might not be such a bad investment. Wink

Unfortunately, I'm not fluent an any other language (yet... I would truly like to be. XP), but I will probably invest in Legends II. Believe it or not, I was not a fan of fantasy books until my husband introduced me to her. ^^

Really? I didn't know she was releasing her own anthology. I wonder what's in there... >.< I've got to tell you, I am so addicted to her now, that I constantly keep one of her books in my bag whereever I go. I just keep rereading through the series. I don't think I'll ever tire of it! XP

RE: Homecoming - Ollascaiteair - Aug-15-2009

(Jul-22-2009, 02:13 AM (UTC))Mervi Wrote: ...Robin/Megan is also releasing an anthology of her own stories later this year...

Oh quite interesting, glad I popped across this!CheersSmiling

Was looking around at buying all those anthologies but one of her own would suit me much better.

RE: Homecoming - joost - Aug-16-2009

The 'Legend II' book is worth buying, not just for the Robin Hobb story. There's a followup story on American gods by Neil Gaiman, a wonderful story by George RR Martin about a hedge knight (his second story about this knight actually, since he wrote about Dunk in the first Legends book too), a short Feist story (The messenger), and several more.

RE: Homecoming - Farseer - Apr-21-2010

I really enjoyed Homecoming as it set the scene for what was to come in the Rain Wilds in both story and style. I was interested to discover
**spoiler for Liveship Traders**

RE: Homecoming - Manephelien - Apr-21-2010

Homecoming was actually my first Hobb story! I bought Legends II for the Pern story it contains. Definitely well worth reading. And since you're so new to fantasy, it should be a good investment, you'll get a taste of many more fantastic authors that way.

RE: Homecoming - Farseer - Jul-19-2010

Ok, I can't stand it anymore...I need answers, and I can't find the other post where I touched on this in a different thread!

What do you think of the dragon memory stone statue (buried within Trehaug), and the woman who is also there? No doubt the location of the sculpture is to show us how and where the Elderling-made simulacra were first sculpted by the Elderlings **Farseer and Tawny Man spoilers**

What happened to the statue and the woman? Who did the woman represent?

RE: Homecoming - 'thul - Jul-19-2010

These beings will eventually read that short story. They have access to that "Legends II" thingy. It just requires a conscious decision from them to start, since the story is about 80-90 pages long. They are, however, looking forward to reading it.

RE: Homecoming - Farseer - Jul-20-2010

I am sure you would all find that your 'conscious decision' was well worth it Yay !