thePlenty.net Forums
What we've read in 2012 - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: What we've read in 2012 (/thread-564.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: What we've read in 2012 - Farseer - Jan-02-2013

Big Grin Indeed! Clapping

RE: What we've read in 2012 - mmmmmmm - Jan-04-2013

Up until July I was reading 5 books a week so I have no chance of remembering what they all were...

RE: What we've read in 2012 - 'thul - Jan-04-2013

That sort of state sounds familiar, mmmmmmm...
These beings have tended to read 1+ book per day some weeks...

RE: What we've read in 2012 - Farseer - Jan-04-2013

Blink I am a pretty slick reader when given time to read so only wish that I could ever be in such a state that I had so much time to read...! Jealous much? Yup!

I went to the Voyager site the other day only to discover that all of my old posts have disappeared with the upgrades they've done... Down ...and that there was my simulacra holding my 'Books I've read for 2012' memories. Surrender

I will try and get back here soon though, to list those few that I can remember. I *have* started a list for 2013 however am not sure if I will remember to add to it! Big Grin

RE: What we've read in 2012 - Albertosaurus Rex - Jan-04-2013

(Jan-04-2013, 12:02 AM (UTC))mmmmmmm Wrote: Up until July I was reading 5 books a week so I have no chance of remembering what they all were...

(Jan-04-2013, 12:20 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: That sort of state sounds familiar, mmmmmmm...
These beings have tended to read 1+ book per day some weeks...

Holy ****, I wish I could match that pace. If anything, I think my reading pace has slowed down in recent years. While reading a book in a day has always been a rare occurence for me, I used to be able to read a moderately sized book in a couple of days.

RE: What we've read in 2012 - 'thul - Jan-04-2013

it depends a lot on the books picked. These beings do also go some weeks with 0 books read.

the page number is merely relative. The real definer is the complexity of the text and of course how engaging it is.

RE: What we've read in 2012 - fool-ish - Jan-04-2013

My reading pace has slowed down considerably over the last year or so. Partly down to a dearth of available funds to spend on books, lack of concentration due to worrying about said funds and...music. I can't listen to music and read at the same time, 'tis far too distracting..I invariably start foot-tapping, singing and on the odd occasion, dancing P

So, new year's resolutions; must resist switching the stereo on at every available opportunity, buy more books (husband has a job again at long last, so funds improved considerably!) and finish LoTR without skipping the waffly bits!

I'll turn the music off soon

RE: What we've read in 2012 - Valarya - Jan-06-2013

(Jan-02-2013, 11:19 AM (UTC))Albertosaurus Rex Wrote: However, even if you didn't keep a list, I would like it if we could all share some books that we particularly enjoyed - or did not enjoy. I'm always looking for recommendations.

Here, here!! Book

(Jan-02-2013, 11:19 AM (UTC))Albertosaurus Rex Wrote: As for 2013, I'm planning to finally take those Steven Brust novels off my to-read pile, read some more Katharine Kerr and check out a couple of new authors. Joe Abercrombie and David Anthony Durham are at the top of my list, I've heard so many good things about their works.

I read all of Brust's Dragaera series years and years ago and need to brush up on it for the 4 that have come out since then, but from what I recall, I thoroughly enjoyed them. All 15 of the 19 I read! Huge series, but interesting world/magic.

My book-buddy (that's what I call him) at work just recently read the First Law books by Joe Abercrombie and cannot stop saying wonderful things about him - so that is on my up-next list as well.

------------------

I couldn't recall what I've read all year, because I don't keep lists, but I know I did a few re-reads, including all 12 Hobb Books, Martin's book 4 & 5, and Rothfuss's two again.

And 2 months ago I embarked on a journey I've been avoiding for years. For almost a decade, actually. That being: the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. And I'm not afraid to admit how wrong I was to wait.

In the past 7 weeks I have read 8 and a half of the books (currently 50% through book 9) and am sucked in to this world in a way I haven't been in quite some time. Sure, Jordan's characters aren't as deep as some I've read.. sure, Jordan doesn't kill off any main characters.. but the world is comforting, the female characters are just a hoot, and I find myself loving the magic & politics of the world.

You know, I have never once had a dream about a book-world I've read. Not even my favorite - RotE or LotR. But I've been dreaming about Aes Sedai almost non stop for over a month. P

I can't wait to get to book 12 because that's when Sanderson starts writing the story - oh and that's why I started it in the first place. Because I read Sanderson's Mistborn Trilogy earlier this year as well.

(Sorry for the unorganized wall of text)

RE: What we've read in 2012 - Albertosaurus Rex - Jan-22-2013

Seems like I have my sights set on the right authors. However, as I've said in the "What are you reading now" topic, I'm currently going to a slump that leads to me not reading very much these days. I want to read but I just feel so listless...

Anyway, The Wheel of Time. I've been thinking about that one too, especially now that it's finished. However, last time I attempted to read a big series - The Malazan Book of the Fallen - left a sour taste in my mouth. I thew up my hands in despair after the third and best regarded book of the series and have never touched another Malazan book ever again.

RE: What we've read in 2012 - Valarya - Jan-22-2013

(Jan-22-2013, 03:33 PM (UTC))Albertosaurus Rex Wrote: ... the last time I attempted to read a big series - The Malazan Book of the Fallen - left a sour taste in my mouth. I thew up my hands in despair after the third and best regarded book of the series and have never touched another Malazan book ever again.

This is exactly how I felt with the Malazan series, but I didn't even make it through 2 books, haha. Uhhuh It's also how I felt about the Sword of Truth series even though I made it through FIVE of those (gods, how did I make it that far...?). I'd heard for years that the Wheel of Time books were similar to Sword of Truth, which is why I'd been avoiding it for so long.

Such is not the case. It's all in what you like, though. Some things are quite predictable, some not - it's just the characters, the magic & the world I like in this one.. and that does it for me. Smiling