thePlenty.net Forums
Dragon Keeper US cover art (spoiler-free) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Dragon Keeper US cover art (spoiler-free) (/thread-58.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Dragon Keeper US cover art (spoiler-free) - 'thul - Sep-16-2010

(Sep-16-2010, 08:00 AM (UTC))redchild Wrote: On another note I also noticed the US cover for Dragon Haven...

That is true... but the general tendency for covers to be incorrect makes it dubious and uncertain...

RE: Dragon Keeper US cover art (spoiler-free) - Atthis - Sep-17-2010

Hi all,

Hope you don't mind if I add my two cents. I'm quite happy with the UK cover of Dragon Keeper, but have a major problem with the margins and binding.

Does anyone else own the smaller (mass-market) paperback? Mine has such a thin margin on the inside that I practically had to ruin the book by bending the spine to see the edge of the text! I wonder if my copy's particularly bad or if they're all like this (I bought mine in Australia, by the way).

Robin's books deserve better!

RE: Dragon Keeper US cover art (spoiler-free) - Liquid Ice - Sep-17-2010

(Sep-17-2010, 08:22 AM (UTC))Atthis Wrote: Hi all,

Hope you don't mind if I add my two cents. I'm quite happy with the UK cover of Dragon Keeper, but have a major problem with the margins and binding.

Does anyone else own the smaller (mass-market) paperback? Mine has such a thin margin on the inside that I practically had to ruin the book by bending the spine to see the edge of the text! I wonder if my copy's particularly bad or if they're all like this (I bought mine in Australia, by the way).

Heya. I have to agree. I've recently been reading the Liveship Traders Trilogy and at the beginning of the book I had to do the exact same thing and half ruin my book to see the text. So many pages just can't be done and such a width and height. Shame really

RE: Dragon Keeper US cover art (spoiler-free) - 'thul - Sep-17-2010

these beings have not had that problem

RE: Dragon Keeper US cover art (spoiler-free) - Nuytsia - Sep-17-2010

(Sep-15-2010, 02:29 PM (UTC))Liquid Ice Wrote: Man Germany, revised paperback for the assassin series gets the strangely epic/out of place reward
And Hungary, part 1 for Royal Assassin gets the reward of being most boring/horrible.

Heheh re the first one, I thought hmmmm am I supposed to be questioning FITZ's gender too?
Re the second one, gees how did I miss it. Blah!

(Sep-15-2010, 02:29 PM (UTC))Liquid Ice Wrote:
(Sep-15-2010, 02:00 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: Give me the plain UK covers any day...simple yet effective Clapping !
Agreed

I'm beginning to agree too!
I guess the danger with covers that show a picture of the main character/s (with their faces fully visible) is that most people are probably going to have a different picture in their head of what those characters should look like. This is of course even worse with those photo type covers than with the painted type ones.

(Sep-17-2010, 08:22 AM (UTC))Atthis Wrote: Hi all,

Hello!
Bummer re your book. I have that edition and mine seems ok. I didn't BUY it in Australia even though I live here, I got it online. Wonder if there was more than one print run or something? Actually I have a copy of Fool's Fate which is far worse with the small margin issue. I had to read it so carefully!

RE: Dragon Keeper US cover art (spoiler-free) - 'thul - Sep-18-2010

it does sound like an issue with one printing run...

RE: Dragon Keeper US cover art (spoiler-free) - Farseer - Sep-18-2010

(Sep-16-2010, 08:00 AM (UTC))redchild Wrote: On another note I also noticed the US cover for Dragon Haven...

I have to agree, redchild, particularly given the direction of the storyline and past events in other books.

As for discussions on margins etc, I haven't had a problem with any of my books, which are, for the most part, the UK editions (and all purchased here in Aus). DK and DH are both the larger books though. Still, I've not only been able to read them all without any difficulty, but have also managed to place plenty of notes on far too many of the pages...*shakes head*...tsk, tsk, and some are even written in pen Turned !

RE: Dragon Keeper US cover art (spoiler-free) - Liquid Ice - Sep-18-2010

Well to be honest I only have this problem at the very start of the book. Once I get past the first 100 it fixes it's self. And really I've only had the problem Atthis was talking about with the Liveship Traders Trilogy.
Also Farseer, DK and DH will supposedly be small like the others after a certain period of time. Book lady said new releases are like that (She had a proper name for new and old books as well, can't remember) =/.
Actually I think I've seen DK as a small copy already....

RE: Dragon Keeper US cover art (spoiler-free) - Atthis - Sep-18-2010

Yeah, there's already a small DK - that's the one I've got.

(Sep-17-2010, 01:34 PM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote: Bummer re your book. I have that edition and mine seems ok. I didn't BUY it in Australia even though I live here, I got it online. Wonder if there was more than one print run or something? Actually I have a copy of Fool's Fate which is far worse with the small margin issue. I had to read it so carefully!

Well I guess I should Dragon Haven online, then. I hate being rough with my books.

And on that note, I can't believe you write on your books in pen, Farseer! I would never do that! Well I did once, but that was because the book I was reading had so many grammatical and spelling errors that I got annoyed and started correcting them. Smiling

RE: Dragon Keeper US cover art (spoiler-free) - Farseer - Sep-19-2010

(Sep-18-2010, 02:53 PM (UTC))Atthis Wrote: And on that note, I can't believe you write on your books in pen, Farseer! I would never do that! Well I did once, but that was because the book I was reading had so many grammatical and spelling errors that I got annoyed and started correcting them. Smiling

I can't believe it myself Blushing and would have once been just as shocked as you seem to be, Atthis! I became so involved in the RotE plot though, that I had to start jotting down connective points during multiple re-reads. I have also turned down the corners on important pages throughout the first nine books (DK and DH are still safe as my husband and kids are still to read them!) and, as a result, nearly every page is turned down using a slightly different folding style Big Grin (I think I have Lord Punctual to thank for, after her post in the Favourite Bookmarks thread!). A great excuse to be able to go out and buy all new RotE books with matching covers though!!!