thePlenty.net Forums
David Gemmel Legend Award - vote for Dragon Keeper UPDATED, final voting has started - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: David Gemmel Legend Award - vote for Dragon Keeper UPDATED, final voting has started (/thread-95.html)

Pages: 1 2

David Gemmel Legend Award - vote for Dragon Keeper UPDATED, final voting has started - Mervi - Jan-28-2010

The David Gemmel Legend Award is a newcomer among fantasy literature awards, it was present for the first time last year. The winner is chosen by the public, and there are two rounds of voting - the longlist is open to all fantasy books (submitted by publishers) that were published in English during 2009. Voting is open from 26th of December to 31st of March 2010. You can only vote once per category. The top 5 books to get most votes during the longlist period will then form a shortlist and then there will be another round of voting in April.

Robin's Dragon Keeper is on the longlist for the Legend Award, and the UK artwork by Jackie Morris is up for the Ravenheart Award for best cover/artist.

Here's the website for the awards where you can vote. No registration is required. However, I've noticed that the site is a bit wonky in some browsers (you have to hover over the award titles to see the link for voting), so here are the subpages where you can cast your vote:
Legend award
Ravenheart award
(There is also a Morningstar award for best debut.)

TDK made it to the shortlist for the Ravenheart award (best cover art) but unfortunately not in the Legend Award category.

The voting for the second and final round has now started!

You can vote for the Ravenheart award here.

RE: David Gemmel Legend Award - vote for Dragon Keeper - chriSchaeffer - Jan-28-2010

voted!

RE: David Gemmel Legend Award - vote for Dragon Keeper - Garetha - Feb-15-2010

voted!

RE: David Gemmel Legend Award - vote for Dragon Keeper - Mervi - Mar-28-2010

So, bumping this thread up to remind everyone that there's still a few days left to vote. I'd REALLY love to see Dragon Keeper in the short list. Although her books are so loved by us fans, Robin hasn't really won many awards so it would be wonderful to get her work recognized this way.

No registration is required to vote, it's just two clicks and a minute of your time to show some appreciation. And this Award is srs bsns unlike the best of 2009 book tournament we're currently fighting ovet at bscreview. Wink

If the link for the Ravenheart award (for best cover art) doesn't work for you, try here, hover over the word "Ravenheart" in the navigation and click "vote!".

The second round of voting between the 5 finalists opens in April.

RE: David Gemmel Legend Award - vote for Dragon Keeper - Liquid Ice - Mar-28-2010

Voted:exclamation:

Shouldn't there also be a reminder about that other comp Robins in P

The BSCreview forum. Dragon Keepers made it into like the 3rd round and is currently winning >.>

RE: David Gemmel Legend Award - vote for Dragon Keeper - Nuytsia - Mar-28-2010

Oh I'm glad you bumped this - I hadn't realised it was still up for voting.
Is it just me or are there lots of these sorts of polls going on lately? This one, the BSC Review one, Suvudu cage match, geees even one that pits different computer game developers against each other......

I can't believe I haven't heard of or read most of the books up for the David Gemmel award - I have to seriously start reading more books!! I did start reading both Bones of the Dragon and Rides a Dread Legion, but couldn't get more than about half a chapter of either. Unfortunately I had just read the tawny man trilogy which made it very hard to get into other books!

RE: David Gemmel Legend Award - vote for Dragon Keeper - Mervi - Mar-28-2010

I think there's some sort of a tradition for all kind of contests and polls for March? Not sure. Big Grin

Anyway, the difference (and the reason why this note is currently sticky here) is that this is a real award, while the BSC and Suvudu contests are more like fun entertainment and not so serious (and at least partially created to get more traffic for the sites).

There's lots of "real" fantasy/sci-fi awards out there, the Hugos and the Nebulas, Saturns, Locus, British Fantasy Awards etc etc but every one of them is a "closed" voting in one way or another - you need to be a member of some association, subscribe to a magazine, attend a con or live in a certain country etc etc in order to vote. The David Gemmell Legend Award seems to be the first real fantasy award that is really based on the public opinion. There's no panel to determine which books are listed: it's up to the publishers to nominate them. Anyone with an Internet access can vote. No memberships, no fees have to be paid for. The award is still new (and the website needs some serious redesign IMO) but I personally hope that this will become a respected award that is a real honour for the winners to receive, not "just another online poll".

RE: David Gemmel Legend Award - vote for Dragon Keeper - Liquid Ice - Mar-29-2010

(Mar-28-2010, 04:44 PM (UTC))Mervi Wrote: Anyway, the difference (and the reason why this note is currently sticky here) is that this is a real award, while the BSC and Suvudu contests are more like fun entertainment and not so serious (and at least partially created to get more traffic for the sites).

Ah, thought that might be the reason.

RE: David Gemmel Legend Award - vote for Dragon Keeper - Farseer - Mar-29-2010

Yep, voted here too...thanks for the tip, Mervi!

RE: David Gemmel Legend Award - vote for Dragon Keeper - Mervi - Apr-06-2010

Bad news - and good!
Dragon Keeper didn't make it, but the cover art did.
Go Jackie! Yay

You can watch a video announcing the shortlisted works here (Ravenheart for cover art first, then Morningstar for best newcomer and finally Legend for the best new fantasy).

Err no list of the shortlist yet at the website or information about when we can cast our final votes. At least I didn't find any. Dodgy