thePlenty.net Forums
The Inheritance (short story collection) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: The Inheritance (short story collection) (/thread-99.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

The Inheritance (short story collection) - Mervi - Feb-22-2010

Well, this is mostly rumours and hints and guesses at the moment, but I thought I'd start a topic for it anyway.

What we know for sure about this book:

- it's a collection of short stories by both Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm
- will contain both previously published and brand new stories
- will be published in 2010
- Jackie Morris will be back as the cover artist (based on several February entries in her blog, one with a photo of the manuscript pile!)

What we can guess

- one of the stories is [[The Inheritance]] - a guess based on the title of the book
- another story might be [[Mother of Fey]] (previously only published in Finnish. A Finnish fanzine asked to reprint it last year & was refused - I consider this "good news" Wink )
- a story called "Cat's Meat" (Robin mentioned adding this to "the Story Collection file" in her newsgroup last December)

I'm pretty excited about this collection! I hope it will also contain some of the very old Megan Lindholm stories that are so hard to find these days, like the 2 Ki & Vandien stories and the stories that were only ever published in Space and Time Magazine.

RE: The Inheritance (short story collection) - kollkolen - Mar-16-2010

Robin hobb is one of my favourite one.Since I heard about this book I am excited to read this book.Do you know on which date it is going to published as I only know that it is going to be published in 2010.

RE: The Inheritance (short story collection) - Mervi - Mar-16-2010

No, there's no publication date yet. It will be front page news here at thePlenty.net as soon as we know! Big Grin

RE: The Inheritance (short story collection) - Farseer - May-20-2010

(Feb-22-2010, 01:55 PM (UTC))Mervi Wrote: - another story might be [[Mother of Fey]] (previously only published in Finnish. A Finnish fanzine asked to reprint it last year & was refused - I consider this "good news" Wink )

Every other Hobb fan probably already knows this but does Robin have a special connection with Finland, or has a particularly strong supporter base there? It would otherwise strike me as a little odd that she would have one of her stories published only in Finnish?

I do remember reading something about a visit she made to Finland as well, and that she enjoyed her stay/intended to return?

Thanks the gods for thePlenty, as we await 'The Inheritance'!!! 'Cat's Meat' may also shed some light on a few things!!!

RE: The Inheritance (short story collection) - Mervi - May-30-2010

Sorry Farseer, I had missed your question! I don't know the details about how the publication of "Mother of Fey" came to be (Sini could probably help if she happens to see this?) but it was published in "Legolas" which is the fanzine of the Finnish Tolkien Society - it was around the time that Robin was here as the guest of honor of Finncon 2004. I might guess that the editors simply contacted her and asked if there was a story they could translate and publish and she said yes. And probably there just hasn't been a suitable time and place to publish the original until (hopefully!) now. This is ALL speculation, mind you, even the fact that it might appear in the anthology. But it was among the requested stories fans listed when a long time ago Robin asked what the anthology should contain. Oh, and the fanzine that asked to reprint it isn't the same one as the original, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Actually my reason to come to this topic was this: amazon.co.uk now lists the Inheritance as a hardcover and a paperback, both set to be published in March 31st 2011. I just posted a news item about this and updated the wiki page. It's a long way to go, but it feels good to have a date (even if it might change later).

RE: The Inheritance (short story collection) - Farseer - May-30-2010

Thanks Mervi and, yes, let's hope it makes an appearance soon!

re 'The Inheritance' listing...Yay I am so excit-ed! I am so excit-ed! *singing to the tune of 'Crazy, Crazy Conga*

RE: The Inheritance (short story collection) - Mervi - May-31-2010

Robin just posted in the comments of my news post that the book is actually due in May, not March.

RE: The Inheritance (short story collection) - Farseer - Jun-01-2010

Mervi, wouldn't there be both UK and US versions for 'The Inheritance', as there are for all of Robin's other books? Since Amazon UK lists the release day as the one in March, could this not still be the correct date for the UK version (and therefore not an error)? Robin only said that the US version would be released in May. Or is there only the one version of this particular book?
Hmm...it would be pointless saying the "US edition will be released..." if there was not actually going to also be a UK or other version? Far more accurate to say "The book will be released..."? This suggests there will be more than one?

RE: The Inheritance (short story collection) - Mervi - Jun-01-2010

You are correct, usually there are US and UK editions of her books (and most of the time the UK editions come out first) and it's possible Robin meant the US edition when she said "May". But I don't believe in those amazon dates anyway - it would be REALLY weird if the hardback and the paperback would be released at the same time, as the amazon.co.uk data currently claims. I think Robin is a more reliable source, so until we get more detailed information, I'm going assume May is the first publication date, whether it's for UK, US, or both. Smiling

RE: The Inheritance (short story collection) - Farseer - Jun-01-2010

Roger that, and if we get something earlier, it'll be a bonus Wink !