thePlenty.net Forums
The Inheritance (short story collection) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: The Inheritance (short story collection) (/thread-99.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: The Inheritance (short story collection) - Albertosaurus Rex - May-18-2011

But I like the way that The Inheritance and The Triumph both share the same "The [Noun]" structure...

RE: The Inheritance (short story collection) - Farseer - May-22-2011

(May-18-2011, 03:15 PM (UTC))joost Wrote: I'd prefer 'Grace notes' as the title Smiling.

Actually, I REALLY like that, joost - very poetic and clever! Clapping Hmm...I do also agree with AR in that the shared structure works well so I am finding it hard to make a choice that doesn't involve a coin toss. Big Grin

Breaking it down, Robin said of 'The Inheritance' that it was the Lindholm inheritance that Hobb built on, so I just assumed that 'The Triumph' would represent the success Hobb then made, following on from that foundational inheritance. For me, it would only work though if it were to be the final collection...after all, what would satisfyingly come after a triumph?

'Grace Notes' could be a second instalment, and then 'The Triumph' could be a final volume? I'm sure Robin and Megan have enough short stories between them to fill another two... Smiling

I have finished 'The Inheritance' (I only had the Lindholm stories to read) but am a bit busy planning another trip, and need to digest everything before I make comment. At this stage, this is about all I can offer... Uhhuh Blink

RE: The Inheritance (short story collection) - Albertosaurus Rex - May-24-2011

What exactly does that mean? Did you find the experience very strange?

RE: The Inheritance (short story collection) - Maulkin's Tangle - Jun-10-2011

(May-06-2011, 12:33 PM (UTC))Albertosaurus Rex Wrote: You know, going over the list of Lindholm stories, I realized that not all stories have been collected yet. So how's this for the next collection?

The Triumph by Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm

Lindholm:

Bones for Duluth
The Small One
Shadow Box
The Beholder
Faunsdown Cottage
Superior Graphics
The Unicorn in the Maze
Grace Notes
Mother of Fey

Hobb:

The Triumph
Words Like Coins
Blue Boots

Are you paying attention, Voyager?

Hi Albertosaurus Rex,

That would be an excellent second collection. In other quarters, I have bemoaned my inability to acquire the rare RH short stories such as "Words Like Coins" and I would have a pre-order straight in for the collection you are suggesting!

RE: The Inheritance (short story collection) - 'thul - Jun-10-2011

For all intents and purposes "Words Like Coins" is unavailable.

RE: The Inheritance (short story collection) - Maulkin's Tangle - Jun-10-2011

I imagine there must be a period of time during which the stories are not allowed to be reprinted elsewhere...

RE: The Inheritance (short story collection) - 'thul - Jun-10-2011

a period of over two years?

RE: The Inheritance (short story collection) - Albertosaurus Rex - Jun-11-2011

I suppose that would be the average, although the exact duration would depend on the publisher. With the obvious exception of course of antholgies like "Year's best fantasy / SF / horror / etc..."

RE: The Inheritance (short story collection) - Farseer - Sep-21-2011

Sorry for the glut of updates! It doesn't say when it will happen but this update from Robin today:

Quote:From earlier in the month, Luitingh will be bringing out a Dutch edition of The Inheritance.

RE: The Inheritance (short story collection) - fool-ish - Dec-07-2011

Well now, I began at the beginning, resisting the urge to get my 'six duchies' fix and have really enjoyed what I've read so far. Having not read any ML stories before, I wasn't sure what to expect, but now I'm encouraged to read her other works, which is all to the good! I've just gotten through 'Strays' and what a brilliant, emotive and distressing short story that is! That one will certainly stick with me for some time...near to tears (again) and 'Cut' was thought provoking to say the least! And there's more to come yet..Smiling