thePlenty.net Forums
Rain Wild Chronicles (SPOILERS ALL REALM OF THE ELDERLING BOOKS) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Rain Wild Chronicles (SPOILERS ALL REALM OF THE ELDERLING BOOKS) (/thread-146.html)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Rain Wild Chronicles (SPOILERS ALL REALM OF THE ELDERLING BOOKS) - Nuytsia - Aug-24-2010

Noooooo don't bust my theory!
Big Grin

RE: Rain Wild Chronicles (SPOILERS ALL REALM OF THE ELDERLING BOOKS) - Mervi - Aug-24-2010

Farseer, I think it's Chapter 18 of Fool's Errand that you want. Smiling

(Oh, and I'm expecting to see you tie this to that Grand Rooster Crown Theory of Everything! Wink)

RE: Rain Wild Chronicles (SPOILERS ALL REALM OF THE ELDERLING BOOKS) - Farseer - Aug-29-2010

Thanks for that tip, Mervi...and thanks to you two my Rooster Crown theory has a NAME??!! I wish I'd just written it as a little post squashed in some dead thread somewhere, instead of giving it its own thread and lots of plugs Blushing ...it's doubtful it will live up to the expectation!!

Moving on, I still haven't found all that I need to, to come back and chat about Fool's glamour (because I don't think he only used it when he was in the role of Lord Golden but need to check some things when he was Fool and Amber) BUT I thought I'd mention that we were given clues about Garetha way back in AQ...amazing!

Fitz was wondering about Starling's sudden interest in Fool whilst they were all on the Skill Road and he went on to recall to himself how Fool had received advances from interested women from time-to-time but had, for the most part, driven them off by disparaging remarks. He says of who I assume to be Garetha and her interest in Fool, 'There had been one gardener maid who was impressed with his wit so much that she was tongue-tied in his presence. I heard kitchen gossip that she left bouquets of flowers for him at the base of his tower stairs, and some surmised that she had ocassionally been invited to ascend those steps. She had had to leave Buckkeep Castle to care for her elderly mother in a distant town, and that had been where it ended, as far as I knew.'

Obviously Garetha later returned to Buckkeep so was there when Fool also returned in the guise of Lord Golden. That she left bouquets of flowers for both Fool and LG seems to link the two maids and therefore confirm her identity?

RE: Rain Wild Chronicles (SPOILERS ALL REALM OF THE ELDERLING BOOKS) - redchild - Aug-29-2010

(Aug-29-2010, 12:50 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: Obviously Garetha later returned to Buckkeep so was there when Fool also returned in the guise of Lord Golden. That she left bouquets of flowers for both Fool and LG seems to link the two maids and therefore confirm her identity?

If I remember correctly, there was one time when the Fool (as Lord Golden) received a breakfast tray or something that had some posies on it. I wondered if it were from the same maid or not and if the Fool had talked to her.

Interestingly, a posy is another name for nosegay (as in Molly Nosegay)

RE: Rain Wild Chronicles (SPOILERS ALL REALM OF THE ELDERLING BOOKS) - Farseer - Aug-30-2010

(Aug-19-2010, 12:41 PM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote: in fact if anyone could see through it it was Garetha .... the maid who left him the flowers on his tray..... oh she was so sweet! (not like Fitz boo! hehehe...... geees I still remember being gobsmacked that the Fool thought Fitz left those flowers)

Sorry redchild, I should have added the related quote from Nuytsia'a previous post (now here above) to my last post as, yes, we were referring to Garetha, the maid who left flowers for Lord Golden P . I thought it was interesting that we were told of her right back in AQ (passage in my previous post) as the two maids are obviously one and the same.

Little things like that certainly make me look at other seemingly inconsequential references more closely and thoroughly in the Farseer trilogy, and how they may bear significance with regard to the rest of the RotE books, especially the RWC and those yet to come...if Robin shared something as incidental as this relationship with Garetha with us, what more important things has she shared but cunningly hidden?!