thePlenty.net Forums
Small, random questions about RotE that still bother you (spoilers all RotE books) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Small, random questions about RotE that still bother you (spoilers all RotE books) (/thread-194.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: Small, random questions about RotE that still bother you (spoilers all RotE books) - Narya - Apr-14-2012

(Apr-07-2012, 06:58 AM (UTC))Valarya Wrote:
(Apr-03-2012, 03:56 PM (UTC))Valarya Wrote: See... you can't really say Fool's only purpose was to bring Dragon's back. No. No, not at all. Fool's purpose was to move the wheel of time off it's track and set it on a new path. Many things needed to happen in order for that to occur. In the first trilogy, securing a Farseer heir was the 1st step. In the second trilogy, bringing the Dragons back was the 2nd step. And in the third trilogy, defeating the Pale Woman was the 3rd and final step. Fool had seen it since he was a young boy. The cold. The darkness. The moment when he would die, but die successfully because it meant his time was the new time, bringing the Pale Woman's attempt to destroy Time to an end.

(Apr-07-2012, 12:50 AM (UTC))Narya Wrote: I am not in any way trying to say that Tawny Man shouldn't have been written.

I realized that. I was hoping you'd comment on what I said about the "why" above, though. Do you agree?
Trying to, but not quite there yet. The Pale Woman was trying to change Time by killing Icefyre and putting and end to dragons, but Time was not so easily diverted, as we see in City of Dragons - there still be dragons.

RE: Small, random questions about RotE that still bother you (spoilers all RotE books) - Valarya - Apr-14-2012

(Apr-14-2012, 06:32 PM (UTC))Narya Wrote: Trying to, but not quite there yet. The Pale Woman was trying to change Time by killing Icefyre and putting and end to dragons, but Time was not so easily diverted, as we see in City of Dragons - there still be dragons.

Right.. but the way I figured it, as stated before, by the end of LST Fool thought the dragons hatching from the eggs would never be able to mate, thus making Tintaglia the last adult female dragon and his mission would still have failed, in his eyes, had he not stopped the Pale Woman from killing Icefyre. Thus the 3rd trilogy was needed to finish her, and help raise Icefyre.

RE: Small, random questions about RotE that still bother you (spoilers all RotE books) - Farseer - Apr-14-2012

Oh, Narya. I wish I could do something with time just so I could spend time replying properly to this! Slurp It's 4:22am and I am up trying to get some other things done but will give it a bare bones stab! P

First though...@fool-ish: I've got snippets of all this and related discussion elsewhere but Sa (at least as we are suggested of Sa thus far) has a least a female, male and a serpent aspect, as well as a jewel face. This use of the word 'jewel' in connection to the face could well be representative of the 'facets' of Sa (as jewels have facets and Sa, like Fool and many other characters, also has a number of facets) and/or be descriptive of Sa's actual, physical face eg scales like a dragon/Elderling.

As for the serpent aspect, Wintrow spoke of the followers of Odava when he went to Cress and Odava is the 'name' of the serpent god. Followers of Sa accept his part but followers of Odava believe Odava to be a god in his own right as they don't believe that he is an aspect of Sa. Possibly the male and female aspects of Sa could be El and Eda, though only known individually by those names in the Six Duchies and Out Islands etc?

Likely you'll find plenty more of all this over in the Mythical Creatures/Folk or earlier here in the Small, random questions threads, both of which will also include a discussion re Sa and connections with dragons and Elderlings etc. While you can't do a search on Sa (it only has two letters and so not enough to cover the min number of characters for a search! Rant ) , you could try 'Odava' or 'jewel' or somesuch.

I also put a question to everyone over in the The Skill and The Witthread:

(Dec-27-2010, 06:45 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: At the very beginning of Chapter Ten of AA, 'The Pocked Man', Fitz has this to say: "Tides and time wait for no man, and that I know is true. But time? Did the times I was born into await my birth to be? Did the events rumble into place like the great wooden gears of the clock of Sayntanns, meshing my conception and pushing my life along?"

I intend to ask a very different question about this passage in another thread but, for here and now, who or what is "Sayntanns"? Could this be the full, true name of "Sa"?

Now *that* is a conversation I have chomped at the bit to get back to!

EDIT: Posting this now so that I don't lose it like always (!) and will get onto to contributing something to the discussion re F & TM. P

RE: Small, random questions about RotE that still bother you (spoilers all RotE books) - fool-ish - Apr-14-2012

Thanks for the 'Sa' info, Farseer Smiling It would seem the deity is all things to all people, depending on who, where, what they are. I like the idea of 'jewel,' it suits.

Now then, Clef. Does this boy have some skilling ability? I thought he showed signs of it when he mentioned his dreams to Brashen.

RE: Small, random questions about RotE that still bother you (spoilers all RotE books) - Farseer - Mar-07-2013

Valarya, just confirming that there were a few posts made about pronouncing names etc in this thread, beginning from the very first page.

Gah! Doing this on an iPad is rather laborious! Down Smiling

Fool-ish, just read your post re Clef. Indeedy, he certainly knows things! Wink

RE: Small, random questions about RotE that still bother you (spoilers all RotE books) - 'thul - Mar-07-2013

apple products are no good. Not food!

RE: Small, random questions about RotE that still bother you (spoilers all RotE books) - mmmmmmm - Mar-14-2013

(Dec-27-2010, 06:45 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: At the very beginning of Chapter Ten of AA, 'The Pocked Man', Fitz has this to say: "Tides and time wait for no man, and that I know is true. But time? Did the times I was born into await my birth to be? Did the events rumble into place like the great wooden gears of the clock of Sayntanns, meshing my conception and pushing my life along?"

I intend to ask a very different question about this passage in another thread but, for here and now, who or what is "Sayntanns"? Could this be the full, true name of "Sa"?

Might Sayntanns be a place?

RE: Small, random questions about RotE that still bother you (spoilers all RotE books) - o0Ampy0o - Mar-16-2013

(Mar-14-2013, 09:14 PM (UTC))mmmmmmm Wrote:

Might Sayntanns be a place?

...Or just an association like Buddhism and Buddha (Sayntanns and Sa).

RE: Small, random questions about RotE that still bother you (spoilers all RotE books) - Farseer - Mar-16-2013

It could most certainly be the name of a place or association. Smiling

RE: Small, random questions about RotE that still bother you (spoilers all RotE books) - 'thul - Mar-16-2013

or it could be undetermined, a name that the tangle leader has yet to attribute to anything specific.