thePlenty.net Forums
Small, random questions about RotE that still bother you (spoilers all RotE books) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Small, random questions about RotE that still bother you (spoilers all RotE books) (/thread-194.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: Small, random questions about RotE that still bother you - Nuytsia - Aug-26-2010

Rant

RE: Small, random questions about RotE that still bother you - Farseer - Aug-26-2010

I gossiped to one of my sons this morning that the beings 'thul spoke of stir-fried cat...*gasp*...what would Nuytsia do next?!

You didn't disappoint Big Grin !

RE: Small, random questions about RotE that still bother you - Nuytsia - Aug-26-2010

wow i feel famous! Proud

RE: Small, random questions about RotE that still bother you - Farseer - Aug-26-2010

It's random BUT is it small, let alone answerable??!! I am bothered by not knowing who Jek really is and how she first became friends with Fool. Obviously they knew each other before she 'became' Amber SO, did they meet in the Six Duchies when Fool was Fool Uhhuh ? Could Jek herself have been in the guise of someone else (I don't think so but there it is..!)?

RE: Small, random questions about RotE that still bother you - NeverBeenWise - Aug-26-2010

I don't think Jek would have met the Fool before he/she took the guise of Amber, simply because she knows the Fool as Amber and only Amber. I think that the Fool would have avoided going to Chalced again if possible because of all the slave trade, so maybe he "became" Amber before leaving the Six Duchies to avoid being recognized as King Shrewd's jester, though it wouldn't have been very likely that that would have happened. So when Amber had reached the southernmost dock in the Six Duchies she could have met Jek, who could have helped her board a ship to Bingtown.

(Aug-26-2010, 12:36 PM (UTC))NeverBeenWise Wrote: I don't think Jek would have met the Fool before he/she took the guise of Amber, simply because she knows the Fool as Amber and only Amber.

I can see that, NeverBeenWise, especially going on from Jek's reaction to Amber having taken on the role of Lord Golden. I do remember it mentioning somewhere though that Amber and Jek had been friends for quite a while, long before Jek took to guarding Amber's store, and this is what made me think that they must have known each other beforehand...BUT, possibly Jek and Amber got together very early on (as you say, maybe even before leaving the SD) during the gap of fifteen years that Fool had been away from Buckkeep. Give or take five years, they could still have managed a decade-long friendship during the 'Amber' phase. Thanks!

RE: Small, random questions about RotE that still bother you - 'thul - Aug-26-2010

these beings prefer animals of the family Canidae over the animals of the family Felidae. More specifically of the Genus Canis.

They will not, of course do anything against members of the family Felidae, but the preference is there. They doubt that regular housecats are all that edible, not even when stir-fried. Too little meat. The great cats might have a bit more meat, but it is usually better to eat herbivores.

I've always wondered why people who 'prefer' cats don't bring up gross jokes about dogs, yet people who 'prefer' dogs seem to often bring up things like that about cats. In my experience cat lovers are usually animal lovers in general, whereas dog lovers quite often just like dogs (or dogs and horses for some bizarre reason)
Anyhoo.

I love Jek!!!! Add to the list of minor characters I love.
I would agree that it *seems* wrong to think she knew the Fool pre-Amber, as it *seems* that she is pretty surprised by finding him as Lord Golden and he seems to not want her to find out that 'Amber' is now 'Lord Golden' (doesn't he freak out when she comes to the door or something?)
BUT on the other hand, it did occur to me that she immediately accepts Amber as Lord Golden once she realises..... I just put that down to her character (and it comes as an obvious contrast to Fitz's reaction to finding out about Amber).... but MAYBE she did know Amber as the Fool and that's why she's not that shocked?

OR she may have met Amber as Amber ...!!!! Totally plausible.

I must say I was a little surprised at how the Fool speaks to Fitz about her - he said something quite insulting from memory (but I can't think of what it was). Not very nice to say about a friend of long standing!

Intriguing notion that Jek may have been in another guise though.... not sure we'll ever know!
I think from memory she is described as quite strong/tall (for a woman?).....?

I wonder what made her leave the 6 duchies to live in Bingtown ....(as it now seems she does?) She didn't really seem that close to anyone in Bingtown did she?

Here's a small random question - in Fool's Fate in the bit where Fitz is loitering in the darkened streets for a glimpse of Lord Golden on the balcony of some seedy inn (hah yeah they're just good friends!) .... and it says something about Fitz heard Lord Golden received a succession of seedy visitors from Bingtown and beyond .... tattooed faced slaves etc or some such ..... anyhoo seems a bit weird that he'd know all these people when surely he was Amber when he visited those areas? Or maybe he'd been Lord Golden for ages before he came back to 6D ? I guess it must be the latter! So anyhoo now I'm curious about when, where and how Amber became Lord Golden ... hmmmm

RE: Small, random questions about RotE that still bother you - redchild - Aug-26-2010

(Aug-26-2010, 03:30 PM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote: So anyhoo now I'm curious about when, where and how Amber became Lord Golden ... hmmmm

I, too, am very interested to know.

He also doesn't seem to hold much power, politically. But he has such a wide network of contacts, I wonder what it is he's looking out for or what ulterior motives he has.

RE: Small, random questions about RotE that still bother you - joost - Aug-27-2010

(Aug-26-2010, 03:30 PM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote: I wonder what made her leave the 6 duchies to live in Bingtown ....(as it now seems she does?) She didn't really seem that close to anyone in Bingtown did she?
She's a mercenary. Mercenaries live where they are getting paid.