thePlenty.net Forums
Taking stock of my life - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Everything else (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Taking stock of my life (/thread-198.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Taking stock of my life - Mervi - Oct-07-2010

(Oct-07-2010, 05:05 PM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote: Maybe that's why some people say 'oh school days are the best days of your life' - although I personally wanted to strangle people who said that. Now that I'm older I think geees those people must have had seriously sad lives if that was true for them!!

Well I don't know. It really depends on the school and the people. I've had experiences from both ends of the spectrum - a truly wonderful class that did everything together & had tons of fun and even the teachers loved us (which I think was remarkable considering we were aged ~14-16 around that time!) And for me that time IS still very special and amazingly enough I realised even back then how wonderful it was. So it's not just nostalgia. What I'm trying to say is that it wasn't so great for a lack of anything else good in my life Wink and that it was more or less a collective experience in that class (well not every day of course, life is not PERFECT Wink - you know what I mean).
But then after that there was a school where I was really miserable (for a lot of reasons, but not really for lack of friends though) and I finally could sympathize with people who said they hated school (a concept that had been really alien for me before that).

RE: Taking stock of my life - Nuytsia - Oct-11-2010

Hmm well that sounds ideal!
(not the second part!)
I guess I am thinking more of people who kind of said it to me in a real downer way when I was in school, as if 'make the most of this, cos if you think THIS is crap, then you should see the rest of life!'
School was a mixed experience for me, but give me adult life any day! Yay freedom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RE: Taking stock of my life - Mervi - Oct-11-2010

Oh yeah, people who cannot relate to/sympathize with other people in different circumstances (or at least try to!) are so annoying. There is nothing worse than saying "just get a grip on yourself" to someone else. Same wheat, different bushel. Wink

RE: Taking stock of my life - Farseer - Oct-13-2010

I was not meant to further contribute to this thread, I think! I have just spent about an hour responding and just lost it all AGAIN Rant !
Here we go again...

I think this transition from school relationships simply reflects most others to follow, particularly when bonds are formed from a common interest (as most seem to be). School is the glue that keeps you together in those schooling years, just like a line of work bonds certain working relationships, sporting interest keeps together sport-based relationships, and so on. Even here on thePlenty, we have a common interest in RH/ML's works first and foremost but, since chatting online, no doubt realise that we share other bonds that could (or already have) help us develop firm on-line friendships. Mervi's Tolkein board friends (as a fantastic example!) seem to have developed an amazing friendship over the years, starting on-line and then progressing to regularish face-to-face contact.

Once you move home, take on a different job/career, change interests, develop an injury that prevents sport participation etc, the basic bond is no longer there and, so, to continue in the relationship, an extra effort is needed. It's only having that basic bond in place that allows us the luxury of not really needing to work for a friendship (to a certain extent at least). Take away the bond and there's suddenly work required. This is also true of developing new friendships where firm common bonds don't first exist or aren't immediately apparent.

It sounds totally obvious, I know Smiling , but I look back over the groups I have been involved with over the years and see a clear pattern to support the truth of it, and I look at the many changes in store for our family in the next couple of years and see the trend continuing, for both myself and my kids (who are rapidly now approaching the end of their own school lives).

Interestingly, my eldest, who has about six weeks of school left, has suddenly decided that he will head to university to study aerospace avionics etc next year rather than persue a career as a helicopter pilot in the Army (though he has spent the last twelve months passing all of the entry requirements to do just that!)...and I think it has much to do with his wanting to extend that connection-to-home and school feeling, though he wouldn't readily admit it. Still, with things like email, MSN and Facebook etc, keeping in touch throughout each life phase sure seems easier now than ever before (though I happily admit that I am still a fan of sending or receiving a letter in the mail!).

For me, the most amazing of friendships are those that are rooted in nothingness...sounds shallow with not a lot to keep them grounded (!!) but a person in your life who can just accept you, and have no more expectation than simple friendship, is a rare treasure indeed. Sometimes I feel that my marriage is very much like that at times, and is why it has so far stood the test of time *cross fingers!*...a marriage, after all, is really just an extension of friendship, at least in my experience (friends, like spouses, can threaten to kill each other at times, can't they Big Grin?!). Like any other relationship, a marriage is able to quickly disappear once bonds no longer exist, like when children grow up and leave the nest, and requires work when said bonds fail (if it's these bonds that keep your marriage or friendship together of course).

I suppose if relationships are important to you, you either have to work hard at maintaining old ones or constantly keep finding new groups to join and interests to persue (or a combination of both!).

(Oct-11-2010, 04:31 PM (UTC))Mervi Wrote: Same wheat, different bushel. Wink
Big Grin

RE: Taking stock of my life - Mervi - Oct-13-2010

Farseer, do you get some sort of a error message when that happens? I'm wondering if it's a problem with the server the forum is hosted on, or your internet connection or something else. (I know we had some database troubles this Monday.) In any case - if you're writing a long reply, it might be a good idea to write it in a text editor and then copy+paste it to the reply window when you're ready. That way you have a "backup" you can return to if the one you're posting gets lost.

RE: Taking stock of my life - Farseer - Oct-13-2010

No, it's just me Mervi, and mostly only happens when I use a laptop. No matter what sort I use, I always seem to touch or do something whilst typing and stuff just happens and, worst of all, disappears...with only some of the time (when I've deleted things, obviously Smiling !) it's able to be snatched back with Ctrl + Z! Give me a keyboard any day.

Yes, you're right about putting things down first and then cutting/pasting (so much time I would save if I did that EVERY time I posted, rather than only now and then!) but sometimes I just get into 'response mode' and then, when I finally think that I should make a back-up copy of my progress, I lose the darned thing :rolleyes: !