thePlenty.net Forums
Translations and covers in other countries (beware RotE spoilers) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Translations and covers in other countries (beware RotE spoilers) (/thread-230.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Translations and covers in other countries (beware RotE spoilers) - Albertosaurus Rex - Dec-13-2010

I hate this. They're so bland and generic. It's becoming something of a mantra for me, but: I want my John Howe covers back!

I'll be adding these to the wiki in a minute.

Fool's Errand

[Image: 5070_4c8a49f30549e_5070.jpg]

The Golden Fool

[Image: 5071_4c8a49f5deb41_5071.jpg]

Fool's Fate

[Image: 5072_4c8a49f8d019f_5072.jpg]

RE: New Dutch Tawny Man covers - Mervi - Dec-13-2010

Thanks for adding them!
I don't know, I kind of like these although the hooded figure makes me think more of Chade than Fitz and I don't know what the birds (eagles?) are about, but these aren't *horrible* if you know what I mean? Bright colours, quite ~dramatic... but I guess that's what sells?
Anyway, reprints with mediocre covers are better than no reprints at all, right? *side-eyes the Finnish publisher*

RE: New Dutch Tawny Man covers - Rendezvous - Dec-14-2010

What annoys me is its the same picture in each, just a different pose for figure on the front and a new colour. Its lazy.

RE: New Dutch Tawny Man covers - redchild - Dec-14-2010

(Dec-13-2010, 06:16 PM (UTC))Mervi Wrote: Thanks for adding them!
I don't know, I kind of like these although the hooded figure makes me think more of Chade than Fitz and I don't know what the birds (eagles?) are about, but these aren't *horrible* if you know what I mean? Bright colours, quite ~dramatic... but I guess that's what sells?
Anyway, reprints with mediocre covers are better than no reprints at all, right? *side-eyes the Finnish publisher*

The colors aren't dramatic...they're garish D8

(Dec-14-2010, 04:13 AM (UTC))Rendezvous Wrote: What annoys me is its the same picture in each, just a different pose for figure on the front and a new colour. Its lazy.

Agreed. It was probably cheaper to have one person redo all three books in one style than to commission three separate works, never mind three works by accomplished artists like Howe and Whelan. I wouldn't mind so much if only the artist weren't so, as you said, lazy. He/she probably didn't even read the manuscript and went by whatever "fantasy" elements he/she thought of first Dodgy "Okay so there's this castle....and a mysterious hooded figure....with a magical staff! And then I'll add some fancy corners so it looks like an old book, but with hip colors!"

I wonder why they couldn't just make a new cover that still features Howe's paintings? I guess they want to attract a new audience (I'm thinking young teenage goths/vampire fans.)

RE: New Dutch Tawny Man covers - Farseer - Dec-14-2010

Like them or not, as soon as I saw them, I thought "Trudi Canavan!" (particularly The Black Magician trilogy) and then, in a similarish (is that even a word Smiling ?!) but at-a-bit-of-a-stretch vein, "Brent Weeks" and The Night Angel trilogy. Quite the turn-around really, especially considering that I have previously ranted about both of these writers having pinched ideas from RH's booksP !
Not sure if this has been talked about elsewhere but, just on Dutch/Finnish etc translations and how the covers have been construed rather inaccurately here, are there ever any true errors or glitches made in the actual plot, with the characters or whatever, during the written translation process? Or is it all pretty much the same so as to not make much of a difference?

I must admit that if I were going to want to learn another language, it would be so that I could rediscover all of RH's books via a new perspective!!

RE: New Dutch Tawny Man covers - 'thul - Dec-14-2010

'thul have seen far worse covers... Mainly the kind where female characters are dressed in some form of chain mail bikini... While it is obviously quite revealing (and likely turns a few male humans on) it is about as useful as a paper shield...

RE: New Dutch Tawny Man covers - redchild - Dec-15-2010

^Yeah the sexy warrior chick cliche does get tiresome.

I don't know why, I don't seem to like most fiction book covers with photographs on them. I much prefer paintings or graphic design. I guess a photograph of a figure on the cover jars you back into reality and at the same time makes you wonder which character it is and kind of ruins your own idea.

RE: New Dutch Tawny Man covers - Mervi - Dec-17-2010

(Dec-14-2010, 02:36 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: Not sure if this has been talked about elsewhere but, just on Dutch/Finnish etc translations and how the covers have been construed rather inaccurately here, are there ever any true errors or glitches made in the actual plot, with the characters or whatever, during the written translation process? Or is it all pretty much the same so as to not make much of a difference?

Do NOT let me open that can of worms. I can go on for HOURS about the mistakes and errors in the Finnish translation of Hobb's books. Basically I tell everyone to avoid the translation if they feel they have sufficient skills to read the original. And that is NOT the case on most other fiction I recommend to people.

RE: New Dutch Tawny Man covers - Farseer - Dec-18-2010

(Dec-17-2010, 05:59 PM (UTC))Mervi Wrote: Do NOT let me open that can of worms.

Can I offer you a can opener? *waits like Swift for one of Lord Golden's stories* Big Grin

RE: New Dutch Tawny Man covers - Albertosaurus Rex - Dec-19-2010

(Dec-14-2010, 02:36 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: Not sure if this has been talked about elsewhere but, just on Dutch/Finnish etc translations and how the covers have been construed rather inaccurately here, are there ever any true errors or glitches made in the actual plot, with the characters or whatever, during the written translation process? Or is it all pretty much the same so as to not make much of a difference?

I have no idea. I have read the original English editions. I always prefer to read books in their original language, although the only languages I know well enough to be able to read books in are English and my native Dutch. (I think I might master German given enough practice, but I don't really feel any motivation to do so.)

I sometimes glance at the cover blurbs translated books and it can make me cringe. I think fantasy is difficult to translate well. As I've mentioned before, there gems like Goodkind's Temple of the Winds coming out sounding like it's about a different kind of wind. Back to Hobb, the ways Skill and Wit were translated just sounds a bit awkward to me - but then, I'm not sure how I would translate "Wit" in this context.