thePlenty.net Forums
Upcoming Hobb YA Novel? - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Upcoming books & other RH news (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Upcoming Hobb YA Novel? (/thread-403.html)

Upcoming Hobb YA Novel? - Farseer - Feb-02-2012

I'm not sure if bringing this up is wise but, well, "I have never been wise". P Joker

I've just seen the latest tweet (see above or the main news page for the original source) and near squealed with delight.

Quote:cabri OH! Before I forget to say, @robinhobb read an excerpt from her upcoming YA novel ("Silent" if not changed). Best reading of @ConFusionMI.

Did anyone here go to ConFusion to verify details/fill us all in eg when we can expect it to be released? I can't find anything on it anywhere so possibly it was a nice little treat just for ConFusion-goers...and the rest of us will have to cool our heels and wait.

If you hear anything, please let us know. Slurp

RE: Upcoming Hobb YA Novel? - Farseer - Feb-02-2012

There's no truth to this so don't go getting excited. Though it may give Robin some ideas! *crosses fingers* Big Grin

Sini asked Robin over on the Newsgroup and Robin knew nothing about it. She did two readings during ConFusion - one from Cut and one from City of Dragons...but there's no YA novel on the horizon, let alone one titled Silent.

Happyballoon

RE: Upcoming Hobb YA Novel? - Mervi - Feb-04-2012

Woah, that's really weird. I'll try to contact the original tweeter and asked them if it was a misunderstanding.

RE: Upcoming Hobb YA Novel? - finella - Feb-04-2012

What is a YA novel???

RE: Upcoming Hobb YA Novel? - joost - Feb-04-2012

(Feb-04-2012, 03:18 PM (UTC))finella Wrote: What is a YA novel???
Young Adults. Otherwise known as teenagers.

RE: Upcoming Hobb YA Novel? - finella - Feb-05-2012

Aaah, thank you, Joost.

Hm, I'd rather have our tangle leader write a new book for adults. Whereas - all her books can certainly also be read by YA. But still I would prefer a "normal" book, preferable a trilogy or even more. In this I'm selfish Wink.

RE: Upcoming Hobb YA Novel? - 'thul - Feb-05-2012

there's not that much difference between YA books and adult books...

RE: Upcoming Hobb YA Novel? - Mervi - Feb-05-2012

I got a reply from the original tweeter and it appears they simply misunderstood, the story that Robin read was [[Cut]].

RE: Upcoming Hobb YA Novel? - 'thul - Feb-05-2012

That figures... But then, it's not all that unusual for people to be mistaken.

RE: Upcoming Hobb YA Novel? - Farseer - Feb-05-2012

Thought as much, thanks Mervi! Thankful

As for YA books by Robin Hobb, my boys read the RotE books that were available at the time during their junior secondary years (around the age of fifteen) and enjoyed them thoroughly. While there is sex etc in the books, it is no more or less than what they would find in many books considered to be YA books. My eldest studied Tomorrow When the War Began in Year Eight English and the Tales of the Otori series a year or so later, and we share an open and communicative relationship, so I had no problems with my sons reading the books in this regard.

Of course, the on-going rape scenes/themes of rape would likely keep it out of reach of YA (?) though these themes I also openly discussed with my sons...and actually found them good and timely opportunities to share the consequences of such actions to boys who would soon be men.

I think Robin could do a YA novel well. My daughter and I really enjoyed her story for younger readers, Unicorn in the Maze.

Again, possibly the excitement caused from all of this conjecture may give Robin an idea to get started on a YA novel or, even better, a series. Smiling